Stebel replacement horn

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Stebel replacement horn

Post by Steve F »

Jim,

The details for the Stebel Magnum horn fitted on my 2015 RT (as supplied from within the UK):- BrandSTEBELItem model numberTM80/1 Magnum Bl lowManufacturer Part NumberTM80/1 400Hz 12vVoltage12 volts
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Hello again,
I've finally got around to fitting my Stebel Nautilus horn.
Managed the fitting okay but am unable to remove enough plastic to route the battery feed to the relay.
I've only managed the lower side, two screws and a push-pin.
Reluctant to attack it too hard for fear of breakage.
Answers on a post card....................
No, seriously though, can someone talk, show me how to safely remove to offside plastic?

Thanks
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Remove the 2 screws on the inside then pull the fairing free from its 2 rubber grommets on the lower edge then slide it backwards away from locating tabs on the top rear corner.  Really easy once you have done it first time.
R1250RT LE
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I straightened a metal coat hanger, taped wire to one end and fed it through cowling, paying attention to staying away from hot things.
Jim
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Thanks for those.
I will check out the advice later, mine is a 2014LC.
Are we talking about the same model?

Failing that, I'll ask daverj if we can meet up, as he only lives a short ride north of me (Oswestry).
Barry
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Mine is a 2015 LC  feel free to come up for a visit anytime  or could meet at the Ponderosa for a brew and a chat maybe make it a forum outing
R1250RT LE
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Thanks,
side panel removed and the one above it.
I think I need to remove the offside and central petrol tank plastic or else revert to the wire coat hanger. Don't tell me I have to remove the mirror !!!!

A meet at the Ponderosa - excellent idea.
Sunday looks cold but dry, mind you I can make virtually any day - any excuse for a ride- lol
Nearer the time we can firm up timing and anyone else that fancies a ride out and a brew.

Any ideas where I can get a male plug to connect to the existing horn wiring?
:)
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Nippy Normans sell a fitting kit for around £17 has the plug and you just fit 2 spade connectors to connect to horn. Much better than their £49 fitting kit which doesn't have the plug to connect to the original loom.
R1250RT LE
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Sorted, should get the horn up and running by the weekend.
Thanks
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Finally sorted. Horn plug and lead arrived in today's post.
Really nice and loud. Seems louder than when I used it on my Pan, but then it was shielded by a lot of plastic.
Much more open on the LC.

With hindsight I should have used black wiring instead of red then it wouldn't have been noticeable.
Still, you can't have everything.
Now, what's next??????

stevie_s

Post by stevie_s »

Steve F wrote: Yes, not a problem. I recently fitted the Magnum horn on my 2015 RT, and mounted it exactly where the OEM pip squeaker was fitted. I already had a can bus wiring loom adapter (from Nippy Normans) which just plugs straight in the bike's horn connector. Very straightforward and works a treat.
Do you have any pictures of the fit and what did you use as a bracket??
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I used the original horn bracket.
I'll try and get a picture or two tomorrow and post them.

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

stevie_s wrote: Do you have any pictures of the fit and what did you use as a bracket??
stevie_s,
I don't have any photos to hand, but I did use the original metal bracket / strap with a slight bend/tweek, so that the horn body didn't collide with the forks on full lock. I found the NN wiring loom somewhat long, so I just coiled up the spare and tie wrapped it accordingly. Otherwise, no other modifications necessary.
Dr. Montaño
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2015
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Mexico

Post by Dr. Montaño »

Extracting images from a video on YouTube which describes the installation of another horn I made a series of images that in sequence show how to repalce the stock horn with another, including a relay for the horn.
Attachments
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - 08 - Conexión del cable de corriente en la batería.jpg
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - 07 - Colocación del relevador.jpg
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - 06 - Conexión del relevador.jpg
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - 05 - Cables de señal, corriente y hacia el relevador.jpg
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - 04 - Cable de señal del botón del claxon - Al relevador.jpg
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - 03 - Cable de corriente por arriba del ventilador hacia el costado derecho.jpg
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - 02 - Posición de claxon.jpg
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - 01 - Tapas a quitar.jpg
BMW R1200RT - Cambio de claxon - Materiales.jpg
Dr. Montaño
axamax
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

I'm about to fit a Stebel nautilus horn to my 2012 R1200RT. I have the horn and a CANbus connector, but no instructions about what to do with the CANbus connector.
I haven't had a look at the original horn or wiring yet. Can I plug in the CANbus connector in place of the standard horn and connect the two wires to the Stebel? OR do I still have to use the relay? (ie use the wires from the CANbus to switch the relay.)