Swiss passes 2016

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
Jimbeem

Swiss passes 2016

Post by Jimbeem »

Hi all, anyone have experience of riding the main Swiss passes, Furka, Grimsel etc. Am going to incorporate them in a trip mid July next year which will also take in much of the French Alps, Route des Grande Alps (which I have ridden before). Any advice appreciated.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Swiss passes 2016

Post by David. »

Is this Ride Magazine link of any help or interest, http://www.ride.co.uk/Europe/download-routes/, scroll down to find "Swiss Mountain Tour".
Jimbeem

Post by Jimbeem »

Thanks for reply DaygloDavid, and yes the Ride guide and loads of other information, videos on youtube etc., available on the web are all of great use , and are each year when planning the next years trips (something I like to spend time on as we are in the Autumn/winter misery season). I was probably looking for the sort of specific comment which would only come from someone who has been there and dunnitt. Thanks again for taking trouble to respond though.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Hi Jimbeem  Susten,Furka,Grimsel all recommend don't forget to stop on the Furka to walk to the Glazier. However check out the lesser known Nufenen close by and the Lukmanier,San Bernardino and Splugen on the Italian border to the east.
If you are coming into Switzerland from France try coming down through the Alsace, Route des Cretes, Ballon d Alsace to Belfort then take the D437 through St Hippolyte, La Chaux de Fonds (Doubs valley) to Neuchatel via the Vue des Alps, a pass (avoid the parallel tunnel) that is what it says! There is a cafe at the summit and from the car park you can look across Switzerland to your east and on a good day see the whole of the Swiss Alps!
Last edited by Bertie on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbeem

Post by Jimbeem »

Thanks Bertie, will take a look at all your suggestions.
Greyhound

Post by Greyhound »

I just did all that stuff Bertie mentions over this past summer.  I did two trips for two weeks each in those areas.  Bertie nails it.  Do all those passes you mention and the ones he does.  Look up the Routes de Cretes and follow that down...the through the Alsace valley between Annecy and Switzerland on the way down.  Absolutely great riding there. 

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Tend to find the lesser known places and roads always a winner, less traffic, more rustic and less tourists.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

How much are toll roads/pass/tunnels ???
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

When I crossed through Switzerland this summer via the motorways, the vignette (motorway tax sticker) cost CHF 40. A 2016 sticker appears to be the same price (40 swiss francs). I bought mine at the point of entry, Konstanz in my case. You can get them online ahead of time, or at certain outlets in country, or even in German Swiss border towns, or so I'm led to believe.
The vignette (non-transferable) covers you for multiple trips on their motorway network in a given calendar year.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

I think (hope) you can avoid roads requiring vignette if you plan your route carefully. I also believe that the Great St Bernard Tunnel may not be included in the vignette, but who wants to ride underground anyway.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMjoe64 wrote:I think (hope) you can avoid roads requiring vignette if you plan your route carefully.
The Ride Magazine "Swiss Mountain Tour" Routes, give some alternatives to avoid Vignettes & Peages.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

BMjoe64 wrote: I think (hope) you can avoid roads requiring vignette if you plan your route carefully. I also believe that the Great St Bernard Tunnel may not be included in the vignette, but who wants to ride underground anyway.
Yes, agree that you certainly can avoid a lot of Swiss motorway if you plan your route carefully. I hasten to add that I was wanting to crack on through Switzerland (still managing to take in the beautiful scenery) as I was doing a longish leg from Konstanz down to Como in Italy in 35 deg heat, and although a bit dull at times, riding through tunnels was a most welcome temporary break from the heat! Needless to say, next time I want to tackle some of the impressive mountain passes
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Hi Steve, I thought you were riding through as opposed to riding in from the wording of your post, but do agree with what you say about riding an occassional tunnel in very warm weather, particularly when you are sat for hours in the RT's conservatory cockpit.

Back to the subject, and with a plan to ride some of those passes during next year's tour, involving a couple of nights in somewhere like Meiringen or Innertkirchen, I am a tad concerned about the stories I hear about Switzerland being pretty expensive. Basic hotel's seem to be available for acceptable prices, but I see that 33cl of beer can cost £6!!!  :'(  and I can't get by on any less than a litre or two per night.
Going to research the possibilty of converting top box to refrigerated drinks carrier and take my own supplies in from France side of the border! :)) :))
Last edited by BMjoe64 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, I was riding through as opposed to riding in Switzerland. The main reason being that, as you've already touched on, the price of decent acommodation and food + drink!! :(  Yes, beautiful country but too b.expensive IMHO !!
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Yep Steve F,  summed it up correct,  very nice out there - just so expensive for touring.....  :(
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window