MCN Test, RT v KTM 1290 Super Adventure v Yamaha Tracer

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BMjoe64

MCN Test, RT v KTM 1290 Super Adventure v Yamaha Tracer

Post by BMjoe64 »

Pretty worthless comparison test in the rag known as MCN today.

More or less concludes that if you only do one long distance trip per year then you might be better off with a Tracer.
But that assumes you fancy a bike with dodgy suspension,poor accessories fitted as standard, or a high seat, poor weather protection, don't want to carry a pillion in comfort and are driven by cheapness of price. I wouldn't object to a Tracer in my garage for shortish weekend blasts, it would be easier to get it out from garage between the cars and probably in the high alps it would be great, but you have to get there first and no way for an all in 2/3 week trip, two up.

If they were Horse and Hound they would be comparison testing a thoroughbred v a carthorse and a shetland pony. Why do I waste the money buying this comic of a publication?

Last edited by BMjoe64 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: MCN Test, RT v KTM 1290 Super Adventure v Yamaha Tracer

Post by guest2360 »

I bought it for years and added to my crime by subscribing to its sister mag Ride.  If they ever published anything about something I knew about there was always some howling errors.  Wrong weights, power, dims, always something.  I think their comparison tests depend nearly totally on what bikes they can blag out of manufacturers at any one time.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Unfortunately MCN is the only UK available publication which covers Motorcycle Sport in any depth. During the "season" coverage of BSB. WSBK, and Moto GP is excellent and the only printed medium as far as I am aware, apart from the occasional one liners in the national dailys. Coverage (results reporting) of both national and international Motorcycle Sport by BBC, Sky and ITV is non existant. So in this respect I will continue to spend my £2.20.
Incidently I was a bit peed off with them a few years ago when they ran an interesting feature where readers where asked to submit pictures of obscure bikes as a "identify the bike feature". I diligently scanned, up-loaded and e-mailed a nice picture of the weird rear suspension on a friends (In France) Monet Goyen expecting it to appear in a coming issue of the rag. Never appeared, never received a thanks for the pic, nothing. Buggers !!.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Having test ridden a 1290 Super Adventure, I can tell you that any comparisons to the RT are silly.  You can compare to the 1200 GSA, if you want, but it's a completely different classification of bike from the RT.  BTW, the 1290 has an engine that will pull a stump out of the ground, but the heat under the seat cooked my butt.  And there was an unacceptable amount of drivetrain lash at slow speed.  I wanted to love it, but I didn't.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

mercator1 wrote: Having test ridden a 1290 Super Adventure, I can tell you that any comparisons to the RT are silly.  You can compare to the 1200 GSA, if you want, but it's a completely different classification of bike from the RT.  BTW, the 1290 has an engine that will pull a stump out of the ground, but the heat under the seat cooked my butt.  And there was an unacceptable amount of drivetrain lash at slow speed.  I wanted to love it, but I didn't.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Super Duke GT may be a better bike...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

After ... type hick
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

RTman10 wrote: After ... type hick

:wonder:

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I subscribe to MCN and have done for several years. In motocycle racing season I found it useful reading passing the time on my regular weekly flights, having it downloaded to the IPad was really convenient. However, I digress starting to sound like I'm selling MCN lol.

With regards to their view when making comparisons between bikes, I often make a guess at the start of the read as to which one they favour and I was right about the the Tracer coming out top based on: MT-09 engine, price, sales, etc. There are more people buying Yamaha MT-09s than any of the other bikes, so is MCN going to tell all those people they are wrong, imho and not wishing to offend anyone :beer:  I don't think so as there are more likely to be more of those buying MCN. Whenever they make comparisons more often than not three test riders like different bikes for different reasons and they leave it to the purchaser. I enjoy reading it, but never take it seriously.

The three bikes are complete opposites now if it was between the Tiger XC, Tracer, Versys (I know it's a 1000cc, but more comparable than 1200RT and 1290) or Vstrom 650 there would be a fairer battle. All of those do similar jobs, similar price range and targeted at a similar audience, now that imhho would be fairer.

You simply cannot compare 1200RT, 1290 KTM with a Yamaha Tracer it's absurd.

Disclaimer:

This is not written with the intention of offending owners of the above mentioned bikes not is it to persuade people to change their mind in purchasing any of the above. if you have received this and are offended by my own humble, but honest opinion, please do not comment as it is intended for like minded people who have worldly experience and have been knocked down and got back up and are in possession of a degree from the university of life.

smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Spencert231 wrote: Disclaimer:
This is not written with the intention of offending owners of the above mentioned bikes not is it to persuade people to change their mind in purchasing any of the above. if you have received this and are offended by my own humble, but honest opinion, please do not comment as it is intended for like minded people who have worldly experience and have been knocked down and got back up and are in possession of a degree from the university of life.
:)) :not speak: :not speak:
Superb!

Cheers

Miles
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Spencert231 wrote: You simply cannot compare 1200RT, 1290 KTM with a Yamaha Tracer...

Disclaimer:

I've got the relevant degree so will risk a comment...

Whist I understand (and agree) that the three bikes are very different, I only have space for one bike and both the KTM and the Tracer would be on my list if I were looking to replace the RT.  So, I for one, enjoyed the article and found the comparison interesting.

Of course, if they'd chosen the right colour RT, it would have come first - by a mile!

:alas: :alas:
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Offense alert !!!!!!

Spencert231 wrote: The three bikes are complete opposites
Don't think you can have 3 complete opposites which by definition implies 2.  ;D :beer:

Other opinions are available.
Last edited by k9doc on Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

k9doc wrote: Offense alert !!!!!!

Don't think you can have 3 complete opposites which by definition implies 2.  ;D :beer:

Other opinions are available.

You are of course correct silly me my English A level certificate shall remain hidden.  :beer: :beer: :beer: ;D