Action camera ie Drift Ghost

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
step2534

Action camera ie Drift Ghost

Post by step2534 »

Has anyone stuck one of these on the bike?? Most Ive seen are on the helmet,or them chest harnesses wondering if it would go behind the screen.

I haven't got one but am seriously thinking about it for this next year.  Having read up it will be a Drift  Thanks
BeeJay

Re: Action camera ie Drift Ghost

Post by BeeJay »

Hi, I have a drift ghost S and have two mountings.
On the right side of my Neotec helmet. Very good can record a bit of scenery by moving your head but keeping eyes front. I think it may be beneficial in an accident, assuming it isn't knocked off, in recording after events.
Disadvantage is that it shows a large part of the bike, clocks, screen etc.
I also have a mount under the front light.
This gives a clearer view forward, except if you're following another bike closely.
As lead bike it gives a good recording, slight disadvantage over the helmet mount is that it picks up road dirt (damp conditions) more.
I did try and mount the camera on the side fairing using a suction mount but didn't like the position or the fact it stuck out too much.
I hope this helps.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I have a Drift Stealth II that I also have either on my helmet or under the headlight.  Both are held on with the sticky mounts that came with the camera.  I just removed a mount from an old helmet and trust me you will not have to worry about the glue failing!  The camera under the headlight was struck hard enough to smash the lens, but the whole mounting system stayed in one piece.

Here is how it looks...

ImageRe: Action camera ie Drift Ghost

Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/sofnolime/videos and you will get an idea of the results.  I like the backwards view from the side of the helmet and I'm going to have a look at this angle more when the weather improves...
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I have mine mounted on one of the Wunderlich mounts that Nippy Norman do. It is a GoPro mount but adapters are cheap. No vibration. Mounts on the screen bolts. I still use a safety lanyard.
[size=34px]
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I have uploaded a video of a ride between Lake Vvrnwy and Bala Nth Wales.
[size=11px]https://youtu.be/frQJkvNEuV4[/size]
step2534

Post by step2534 »

barryj  I liked that you've convinced me that under headlight is good,  could get extra mounts and fit to helmet as well.

I also like the idea of fitting to screen I suppose if the mount had a flat plate on it then then one of them sticky pads would mount the camera to it.

I wouldn't have thought it wouldnt be too difficult to get the mount manufactured  I will have to make a few enquiries BUT best buy the camera first
            then Ive got something to work with, I am convinced though that Drift Ghost is the way to go.

Thanks
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

chrisvh wrote: I have mine mounted on one of the Wunderlich mounts that Nippy Norman do. It is a GoPro mount but adapters are cheap. No vibration. Mounts on the screen bolts. I still use a safety lanyard.

Checked these mounts out on NN's website and they look like a good job. Does mounting the camera this way mean that altering the screen angle would mean altering the camera angle, or am I missing something obvious. Thanks.

@barryj  I am also wondering how much wind noise a helmet mounted camera would cause. I ask this because I noticed the extra noise created by my Scala 4 when mounted on a Schuberth J1. I got the Carda Sho-1 for my Neotec to minimise turbulence but still find it a bit on the noisy side. Thanks.

I was thinking about mounting a camera on the offside engine bar. Anyone have any experience with this setup? I suppose it would need to be mounted on our nearside for a European trip.
Last edited by k9doc on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Noise is a problem with the helmet mounted camera, less on the front.
What I'm trying to do is mount a microphone so that it catches the engine /exhaust noise.
I did clip one to the number plate but it didn't catch the exhaust.
I'll keep trying.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I have the drift mounted under the headlight and another mounted on the crash bars facing rear
Under the headlight is a uninterrupted view but a bit low down for my liking (makes you appear to be going faster than you are too)
The rear facing one is a interesting view
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

The under headlight camera does give a "different" perspective.
I aim to fix semi-permanent cameras to the front and rear and then use the Ghost for trips.
Then when I finally master "Movie Maker" (I still have my Austria trip to edit) I will use the ghost and fixed camera footage together.