BMW 49L top box wanted for R12---NOW HAVE ONE

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Roymundo

BMW 49L top box wanted for R12---NOW HAVE ONE

Post by Roymundo »

Enjoying my new 2015 LC RT, far better than the previous 2005 RT i rode for 5 years. However to get ready for next years European trip with the wife I am after a BMW top box, a large one which i believe is 49L, but it must be in excellent condition. I am happy to use the older type pre 2014 and sort key coding.
Last edited by Roymundo on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Re: BMW 49L top box wanted for R12

Post by guest3074 »

Not sure if you know, but currently the cheapest source of BMW original 49l topbox is here for the pre 2014, you would of course need to get the lock  ;)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

....and also the cheapest source (Moto 24) for the post 2014 49 litre top box. Admittedly, a lot more dosh but still significantly cheaper than the stealers!
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Steve F wrote: ....and also the cheapest source (Moto 24) for the post 2014 49 litre top box. Admittedly, a lot more dosh but still significantly cheaper than the stealers!
It is still a stupid amount for what it is though. I suppose I want one because others have one, I can't say it makes the bike look any better. I went to Royan the other week for a week and used my Lomo waterproof bag strapped to the back and then only carried light stuff in my panniers just to balance the bike. If I had the top box I probably would have filled it overloaded the panniers and still needed a smaller bag on the back. It maybe I am trying to talk myself out of spending stupid money on something that rarely gets used to warrant it expense.
Roymundo

Post by Roymundo »

Got a second hand one from Busarock on this forum. The lock was un-locked with lid open, thought this might be a problem because BMW dealers were stating it really needs to be locked or have a key!!!!!! Anyway I managed to pick the lock and extract from box with a tool made from a hacksaw blade, info on youtube. It took about 45mins to make the tool and complete picking and extraction. Then made a visit to Marshalls/BMW in Grimsby who kindly re-keyed to my bike key. All in all a very straight forward job.