Midlands Section ?

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Midlands Section ?

Post by k9doc »

I was just wondering if anyone in this general area ever got together for an organised rideout or weekend or whatever. Judging by the members' map there are quite a few of us within a reasonable radius. Can't find any evidence so far on the forum but I may be missing something. If it hasn't happened to date, would there be any interest in it happening in the future?
Chris
BMjoe64

Re: Midlands Section ?

Post by BMjoe64 »

!'d be up for a meet somewhere central, maybe a ride in to suitable venue, a dealership could be an easy choice - Long Eaton maybe RTMan?

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Always up for a meet and a chin-wag. Which is why we're booked into Haltwhistle next year.
But before that, you're suggesting east midlands, which I could make as my daughter lives in Hartshorne, anyone further west?
Welsh border country?
There's plenty of good riding days (albeit shorter) during the winter months.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If a Regional meet is organised, folks from further afield may consider heading that way for a ride out etc., perhaps with an overnight stay somewhere.

As has been mentioned, there is a weekend arranged based at Haltwhistle for June 2016, some guys & girls are travelling a fair distance to get there.

I'm sure anyone with local knowledge of their area will know roads to ride & places to go which others may not.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Thanks for your contributions so far. On reflection weekend (or otherwise) meets not related to one specific area may be more in line with what I was thinking. I suppose we are a bit 'thin on the ground' (even within a specific area) to make day rides much of a goer.

Local knowledge, I agree, can make a big difference to the quality of a ride and between us, we do indeed cover some great areas.

I, along with others in this thread, look forward to the Haltwhistle weekend and any others which may be forthcoming.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:I suppose we are a bit 'thin on the ground' (even within a specific area) to make day rides much of a goer.
I don't about that, in the Teesside area, I know several RT Owners, some Forum members, some not.
Personally, I do like to ride out with others, both for the interaction whilst riding & social at the stops.
Some folks do prefer to do their own thing & are not fans of riding in groups or with others.

If you're heading out & would like the potential of some company, consider posting a meeting time & place, you may be pleasantly surprised.
k9doc wrote:I, along with others in this thread, look forward to the Haltwhistle weekend and any others which may be forthcoming.
Hopefully the Haltwhistle "Centre of GB" weekend will be one of many in 2016 & beyond.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
Happy enough with local arrangements, we have a small group, 2 or 3 buddies who ride regularly together both at home and abroad. I prefer this as each knows and trusts the others style and capabilities. Not too bothered about larger groups other than for 'special occasions'. It's also easier to organise at short notice keeping it local. I also quite enjoy riding by myself and I know others who prefer it this way even on a 'foreign' trip.

My original post was more from a 'Club perspective' and we do seem thinly spread down in the Midlands (at least according to the Membership Map).
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Trying to arrange day rides, especially in the winter is very difficult.  The only thing harder is an overnighter when you could just wake up to ice and snow.
I arrange up to 3 tours a year for Pidcock's , 2 in UK and 1 in Europe . People like things like hotels and channel crossings organized for them but most of us are independent sorts.  I find our groups travel in twos and threes and want no more than some suggested routes, a list of places of interest and details of meal times in the hotels.     
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

RTman10 wrote: Trying to arrange day rides, especially in the winter is very difficult.  The only thing harder is an overnighter when you could just wake up to ice and snow.

Couldn't agree more. Used to ride in a small group whatever the weather barring ice and snow but a bit softer and wiser these days.
Through the winter I think it's better just to take an opportunity when it presents and without the inconvenience of having to fit in with others.

Regarding the organising I know what you mean. Within our small group my mates just want the dates and the price. Routes, hotels and ferries (although it's been mainly UK of late) left to me. I quite enjoy the planning and it's always nice when it comes together.

Do you find the same people often turning up for repeat tours?
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Do you find the same people often turning up for repeat tours?

Our European tours are up to 60 strong and normally about 1/2 of them have been before sometime in the past..  Pidcock's have been organising these for over 30 years so they are well known about.  UK tours are smaller normally about 25 strong.  Its very difficult in UK to get large group bookings as a huge number the bigger hotels now only want to cater for coach partied. Scotland especially is a nightmare.
To arrange anything bigger than just a few bikes you have to book up to 12 months in advance.   
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
Sounds like that's a job and a half. Fortunate that yourself and others want to take it on so that others can just pay up and go.
Chris
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

I agree with most of what's being said - I ride about 10,000 leisure miles a year and of that a vast majority is with a mate who lives roughly 50 miles away from me. We know each others riding style and little foibles very well. We meet at various locations - in winter maybe for a big fry up and short ride, in summer for early brekky and full day ride of at least 250 miles. We also go on UK/foreign tours each year and mostly just the two of us, or one or two selected close mates we have ridden with for considerable mileage. Other than that - I mostly ride on my own and prefer it.

This is why my suggestion is that "strangers" are best met at a ride in, rather than a ride out. Having belonged to a number of specific bike forums I have enjoyed the good and suffered the bad. Maybe we could ride in and meet for chat and coffee@ Pidcocks one sunny day in the spring. I will volunteer try to set that up and encourage midlands owners to show up nearer the right time.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sounds like plan to me. Pidcocks have had a major rebuild over the last few weeks and now have a large free coffee area. Don't turn up on a Sunday though.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

BMjoe64 wrote:

This is why my suggestion is that "strangers" are best met at a ride in, rather than a ride out. Having belonged to a number of specific bike forums I have enjoyed the good and suffered the bad. Maybe we could ride in and meet for chat and coffee@ Pidcocks one sunny day in the spring. I will volunteer try to set that up and encourage midlands owners to show up nearer the right time.
+1Image
Chris
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

RTman10 wrote: Sounds like plan to me. Pidcocks have had a major rebuild over the last few weeks and now have a large free coffee area. Don't turn up on a Sunday though.

All finished now! It's been a while in construction.[size=78%] Must have a ride down there![/size] :)
BMW R1200RT SE 2010