Rear Chevron Markings

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
iRider

Rear Chevron Markings

Post by iRider »

I was stationary in a queue of traffic last week when I heard that scary sound of a car sliding to a halt behind me. So I have decided to improve the visibility of the RT from the rear. I know it will never protect me from that driver who just isn't paying attention but anything that can grab the attention is better than nothing.

This is the before and after using reflective material from eBay.

Rear Chevron Markings
Rear Chevron Markings
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
stelyn

Re: Rear Chevron Markings

Post by stelyn »

Hopefully that should do the trick  iRider......  :whistle:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I highly recommend skene design P3 lights, attention getting
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When stationary & in neutral, I've got into the habit of showing a brake light, to help me be more visible from the rear.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

T6pilot wrote: I highly recommend skene design P3 lights, attention getting
Attachments
IMG_2632.JPG
Last edited by guest3074 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USTourer

Post by USTourer »

Beyond adding extra light a simple graphic can increase the possibility to be seen. A hated the (mostly) black bulk of the bike back side too...
Attachments
BMW R1200RT back2.jpg
BMW R1200RT back.jpg
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Brings back memories of myself being shunted up the rear. There I was sat stationary in the middle of the road waiting to turn right into a petrol station when I  heard the scary sound of something ? sliding up behind me. Next thing I remember was being catapulted off my bike (actually it was a friends bike) and ending up lying in the road.  It was another bike that had rammed me from behind. Luckily the bike I was riding (AJS 350) had rear crash bars which took all of the impact and no doubt saved my right leg. A few stitches to a hand and a bruised knee later I was pronounced fine at Hartlepool Hospital. The chap on the other bike did say sorry and that he hadn't seen me !!.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
iRider

Post by iRider »

Looking at those pics by USTourer I prefer it with the raised section cut out so I have been back with the knife :-)
USTourer

Post by USTourer »

It is funny, I cut the raised sections out in the second round too.

Android thinks: this a place for commercials

Crater

Post by Crater »

I was keen to make myself more noticeable from the rear. As the bike is grey and silver I went for what I thought was the stylish option. However in the UK we have rather specific requirements laid down in our Traffic Regulations (I had completely missed this so thank you to bunny2585 for pointing it out).
Basically here reflectors and lights to the rear should be red. Exceptions are things like reversing lights, number plates and reflectors on commercial vehicles and trailers which can include yellow as well.
I've got some red reflectors to attach to my panniers so I'm hoping that will keep me out of trouble.
Attachments
image.jpeg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I know that all these things are good ideas but a bit like weather protection kits I couldn't live with looking like the back of a motorway service vehicle.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: I know that all these things are good ideas but a bit like weather protection kits I couldn't live with looking like the back of a motorway service vehicle.

+1 I was going to say that or very similar, but since I already upset someone recently I thought I would give it a miss, however. Since it been said I would agree with RTman, sorry.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Spencert231 wrote:
+1 I was going to say that or very similar, but since I already upset someone recently I thought I would give it a miss, however. Since it been said I would agree with RTman, sorry.

Afraid I'm with RTMan and Spencert321 on this one chaps.  Similar issue to engine/pannier bars for me.  I get the practicality arguments but I'm too concerned with what my bike looks like, so all these reflective panels and extra steel tubes are not for me.

I wear a hi-viz helmet, have added the LED driving lights, and have fitted cylinder-head protectors and the OEM plastic pannier protectors.  Oh, and in the winter I add a red (non-flashing)LED strip-light to my helmet.

Beyond that, I'll take my chances.

Of course, i may come to regret my approach but at least I'll have the consolation of looking cool on my (faster) callisto grey stealth bike in the meantime...

;) :enjoying: ;) :enjoying: ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I reckon high vis clothing is the way to go.  I use a BMW Airshell jacket all year round. Only once when waiting on a closed road did a motorist coming the other way shout "when are you lot going to open the road"
iRider

Post by iRider »

Each to their own guys.. But I really don't give a monkeys what the tosser behind me thinks when he sees it, so long as he does see it. ;-)