Well, crap. Laid it over.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Well, crap. Laid it over.

Post by richardbd »

Forgot to ask, Mercator...

How's the bruised hip?  Doing ok I hope...
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

richardbd wrote:
As we all know, wind protection is such a personal issue - height, body-length, helmet choice etc. all play a big part.

I was also disappointed in the wind (and rain) protection on my RTLC.  It was far worse than my Multistrada.  To be fair though, I'd added a Cal-Sci screen and some Australian winglets to the MTS and the result was amazingly peaceful to ride.

I fitted the BMW comfort screen to the RT and find it to be a big improvement.  It keeps me quite and dryer (around the shoulders particularly).  Still not as good as my MTS though...

By having a replacement "comfort" screen, it makes you think they intended the stock one for "discomfort".  The older model fairing, besides having better mirror placement, kept more cold air off of your hands, arms and shoulders.  I guess they decided styling trumped comfort. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mirrors on the the older RT better than the LC.  only for looking at your hands. 
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: Mirrors on the the older RT better than the LC.  only for looking at your hands.

I did see that Wunderlich makes an adapter that lets you add GS mirrors to the LC.  I had some sport mirrors on my old RT and never looked at the fairing mirrors.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would say the LC mirrors are some of the best around.  Wunderlish are just trying to cash in on the very necessary adaptors they made for the 2010 to 2014 bike.  Before that you could fit the same year GS ones. All I can see in my mirrors is the road behind.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: I would say the LC mirrors are some of the best around.  Wunderlish are just trying to cash in on the very necessary adaptors they made for the 2010 to 2014 bike.  Before that you could fit the same year GS ones. All I can see in my mirrors is the road behind.

You must be the perfect fit for the bike.  Most people I talk to see their hands in half the mirror.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

On my 3 previous 1200s 2005/7and 9, yes mainly just my hands but not now. I'm 5 ft 7 and have the low seat. Everything works, screen, mirrors,weather protection.Lucky me ah.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Interestingly, one of the reasons I rejected a TC RT was that the mirrors were so dire - I'm 6' and found it impossible to set them in such a way that I could se enough behind to make me feel safe.

I was amazed by how much better the RTLC mirrors are.  Not only can I se everything I want to, they're stable and solid too.  They're the best Ii've ever had on a bike - by far.

Funny how personal these things are...
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

richardbd wrote: Interestingly, one of the reasons I rejected a TC RT was that the mirrors were so dire - I'm 6' and found it impossible to set them in such a way that I could se enough behind to make me feel safe.

I was amazed by how much better the RTLC mirrors are.  Not only can I se everything I want to, they're stable and solid too.  They're the best Ii've ever had on a bike - by far.

Funny how personal these things are...

I'm thinking of putting a set of those little fisheye stick on things to help me see better with the portion that isn't blocked by my hands.

One thing that might be a factor in those who like vs. don't like stock mirror is bar risers.  I have them on mine, and maybe that is part of the reason I don't get better vision.  Although, I didn't like the mirrors before the risers, so who knows.

slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Raises hand, I  forgot to put my side stand down and started to drop it. I caught it as the asphalt just kissed the left side cylinder head. Luckily there were no scratches or other damage. Shit happens. Sounds like the predicament you were in with the steepness of the road could have happened to anybody. Glad you're ok!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

B. hell slow vet......you caught it as it went down at such a steep angle!!!  ??? You must be blessed with 'Arnie' (aka the terminator) type biceps or similar !!?? Anyway, glad to hear the bike only incurred minor damage, and presumably you're okay, that is apart from your arms pulled from their sockets ! ;) 
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Steve F wrote: B. hell slow vet......you caught it as it went down at such a steep angle!!!  ??? You must be blessed with 'Arnie' (aka the terminator) type biceps or similar !!?? Anyway, glad to hear the bike only incurred minor damage, and presumably you're okay, that is apart from your arms pulled from their sockets ! ;)

Ha! No, definitely not Arnie! Just an almost wore out brick/block layer!
step2534

Post by step2534 »

God I hate that feeling, you know its going , it seems to be in slow motion  adrenaline's  pumping and slowly its got to be laid down cos its gone passed that point of no return.

All us motorcyclists know the feeling its one you cant describe. Then when the bike is back up your arms feel as though they are full of lead .

As you drive away your head is a shed and you start to ache all over but I suppose that's part of motorcycling and it can happen to anyone. It just like catches you out.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Got parts quotes today.  Man, BMW is proud of their plastic bits.  $796.  Ouch.
Last edited by mercator1 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

mercator1 wrote: Got parts quotes today. Man, BMW is proud of their plastic bits. $796. Ouch.
:(  that's expensive, perhaps they mean $7.96c ............ :whistle:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window