Garmin 390LM query

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Catfunt

Garmin 390LM query

Post by Catfunt »

Hi, I've been looking at the Garmin 390LM to replace my old Zumo 550 but can anyone tell me if the [size=78%]390LM fits the whole of Europe mapping on its internal drive (as opposed to using the data card like the zumo)?[/size]
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin 390LM query

Post by David. »

Garmin Customer Support can be contacted free on 0808 238 0000, I've always found them to be very helpful.

Looking at the Specs. & what you get In the Box, my guess would be that as the device comes Preloaded with City Navigator® NT Europe & a microSD™ card is not included,
that all the Europe mapping fits on the device's internal memory.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the- ... 38275.html
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looks like it comes with full Europesn mapping but without a micro SD Card inserted, so the answer is yes.  Guarantee though that when you try a map update it will ask for one.  Seems to me missing the Media Player.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:Guarantee though that when you try a map update it will ask for one.
I'd tend to agree with RTman10 on this one, when I first updated the maps on my Garmin Zumo 660,
I was prompted that the device didn't have sufficient internal memory & that an SD card would be required.

See Lifetime Maps T&C's, http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/legal/lmdisclaimer
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

Thanks chaps, my zumo was a pita because of needing a storage card and updates were incredibly slow or failed. If Garmin haven't fixed the problem, I'll stick with maps and my iphone :-)
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Catfunt wrote: Hi, I've been looking at the Garmin 390LM to replace my old Zumo 550 but can anyone tell me if the [size=78%]390LM fits the whole of Europe mapping on its internal drive (as opposed to using the data card like the zumo)?[/size]

My 550 had full European maps on its internal memory.  The SD card was only for music.

I was "forced" to switch to  Nav5 when I bought the RT because it was (at least partly" integrated.

I hope the 390 is better than the Nav5.  The only good thing I have to say about the Nav5 is its big screen.  In every other important respect I consider the 550 infinitely superior if you want to use it for touring, as opposed to just getting you home the quickest way...
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Catfunt wrote:My zumo was a pita because of needing a storage card and updates were incredibly slow or failed. If Garmin haven't fixed the problem, I'll stick with maps and my iphone.
What problem haven't Garmin fixed?

Yes, at times updating maps can be a little frustrating & I'm no expert, but with help & support from Garmin when needed,
I've got the latest maps on my Zumo 660, plus both MapSource & BaseCamp on my PC.

Most recently, before updating my device, I've reformatted the 4GB SD card & it's all worked OK.

I've now had my Garmin Zumo 660 for 5 years without having any problems with the device itself.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I totally agree with your opinion of the superiority of grey, but the old 550 much better than the V.  no chance. There's all sorts missing. Lane assist, route options, split screen just to mention a few.
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

I struggle with the amount of time spent sitting around waiting for my old 550 to update but,
It has done and still does everything I want when touring. I don't want to be looking at the split screens all the time, I want it to point me in the right direction and enjoy the scenery.
I am also sad enough to take two with me with the weeks worth of routes on both just in case. Already admitted to being sad!
So to replace two units and new mount, 1k? Won't be rushing out to do that too soon. Long live my 550's
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Cas21 wrote: I struggle with the amount of time spent sitting around waiting for my old 550 to update but,
It has done and still does everything I want when touring. I don't want to be looking at the split screens all the time, I want it to point me in the right direction and enjoy the scenery.
I am also sad enough to take two with me with the weeks worth of routes on both just in case. Already admitted to being sad!
So to replace two units and new mount, 1k? Won't be rushing out to do that too soon. Long live my 550's

Sounds like we're kindred spirits.  I reckon 95% of the extra stuff the Nav can do is stuff I don't want or need (or can't understand!).  Add to that the fact that they are so temperamental when it comes to connecting to a Macbook and have the SD card buried behind the battery and needing a screwdriver to access and all-in-all I reckon the Nav5 is a backward step.

Not often I'm not with RTMan - but not this time...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Wouldn't know about MacBook connection but the last 2 full updates I have done took all,of 1 1/2 hours. yes card is behind the battery but you put it in and forget it.
We will agree to disagree.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
We will agree to disagree.

;)