Which Nav Unit??

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
stelyn

Re: Which Nav Unit??

Post by stelyn »

That made me laugh.... :enjoying:  :enjoying:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Tyre software...crap, as I couldn't run it on a Mac!!
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

I couldn't see a situation where I would want anything other than a GPS which slots straight into the RT mount - and am very happy with the Nav V and the way it uses functions off the wonder wheel. So it's Nav V or a Garmin on the RT for me.

I have however used Tom Tom extensively on other bikes and it's a good product, particularly the latest edition. I also use Tyre and it has taken me all over Europe with total reliability when connected to Tomtom and I continue to use it quite as well on the Nav V, with no gliches on tour last year in France. I have looked at Base Camp etc but don't see the need to learn another system when Tyre works quite well enough for what I want (I don't want to be looking at/fiddling with GPS all day) and my touring mates mostly use Tyre and TomTom so it makes it easy to design and exchange routes electronically working from a common platform.

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I have a 660 on the bike and work it with Mapsource. We have done many thousands of miles together with no real problems.

I have also done many thousands of miles in the car with TomTom and Tyre, also mainly glitch free.

Each system has some advantage over the other but IMO neither is streets ahead of the other.

I think (as with most things) you have to practice with, and get to know a system before you can get the best out of it.

Compliance with your riding buddies' systems and ease of exchange of information may be the deciding factor.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Odiethedog is getting/has got a 2011 RT, IMO, the BMW GPS Bracket plus Garmin Zumo 660 Mount provides a very neat setup, together with power supply & audio leads etc.

Has anyone got a TomTom Mount etc. on a similar Model RT for comparison.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just found this BMW R1200RT Sat Nav Original Bar Mount on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1200RT-S ... SwYaFWg7HO, you need to be quick, time is running out.

The dealer price for the same item is £73.00.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I have used the "TyreToTravel" http://www.tyretotravel.com/ quite a bit now and think it is good when it comes to sharing routes around.  If you create in TyreToTravel format you can save in both Garmin and TomTom which is handy when you ride with mates who have different makes!  Peter
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I know a guy who has a TomTom, I sent him a Garmin BaseCamp route, he said he could view it using this link, http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input.

Don't ask me how, he's a bit of a Whizz, perhaps it is then possible to convert the created Google Map using TyreToTravel for use with a TomTom.
Magpul2015

Post by Magpul2015 »

odiethedog wrote: I'm new here, Only just bought my first R1200RT hasn't even been delivered yet.

It doesn't come with Sat-Nav but I want one fitted. I don't use a smart phone so it has to be a stand alone Nav Unit....

Thanks
I just a brand new 2014 R1200RT 2 weeks ago and I ordered the BMW garmin nav 5 I picked it up 2 days ago and it is working very nice but I only got on rid so far, tonight looks like we are getting some more snow I can't wait for spring time
Last edited by Magpul2015 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

DaygloDavid wrote: No mention of TomTom, just Garmin & BMW (made by Garmin),are there any other motorcycle Sat. Nav. manufacturers.
Becker have a unit - but I have never seen anything "better" for motorcycles than the Garmin or TomTom.

My take on the two units - I would very happily buy a Tomtom for the wife, but only ever a Garmin for myself.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Garmin Zumo 590 comes with all the mounting kit required for both motorcycle & car.

guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

DaygloDavid wrote: The Garmin Zumo 590 comes with all the mounting kit required for both motorcycle & car.
I doubt Garmin have designed the Nav V from the ground up for a market with limited sales numbers, so I bet it's based on the core of the 590 which has the same screen as the Nav V so perhaps a few tweaks, new case and bespoke firmware and the 590 becomes the Nav V?

I had a 590 before getting the LC so was disappointed it didn't fit the cradle  :(
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Benchmark wrote:I doubt Garmin have designed the Nav V from the ground up for a market with limited sales numbers, so I bet it's based on the core of the 590 which has the same screen as the Nav V so perhaps a few tweaks, new case and bespoke firmware and the 590 becomes the Nav V?

I had a 590 before getting the LC so was disappointed it didn't fit the cradle
Apparently, with the Nav. V, "BMW contracted with Garmin to produce a BMW exclusive device".

Hornig make this GPS Mount for the RT LC, https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... RT-LC.html
(The Zumo 590 is not listed, although the Hornig video shows a 590 & TomTom Rider being fitted).

Last edited by David. on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I doubt Garmin have designed the Nav V from the ground up for a market with limited sales numbers, so I bet it's based on the core of the 590 which has the same screen as the Nav V so perhaps a few tweaks, new case and bespoke firmware and the 590 becomes the Nav V?

You are probably right. But remember with the V you get double the warranty and if you have the LC no butchering of the dash is required and you have some functions through the wheel. 

guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: I doubt Garmin have designed the Nav V from the ground up for a market with limited sales numbers, so I bet it's based on the core of the 590 which has the same screen as the Nav V so perhaps a few tweaks, new case and bespoke firmware and the 590 becomes the Nav V?

You are probably right. But remember with the V you get double the warranty and if you have the LC no butchering of the dash is required and you have some functions through the wheel.
I know, and after spending all that money on a brand new bike it seemed a shame to spoil it by modifying it to take another satnav, just my personal preference  ;)

I got a good price for my 590 so it wasn't all bad  :)