Foil antenna (as on the K1600) on a RT

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
STeinar

Foil antenna (as on the K1600) on a RT

Post by STeinar »

Well - I have now installed an foil FM antenna in the top-box - as on the newer K1600

This in a test for getting better FM reception.  The original antenna on the front fearing - is picking up a lot of electric noise from LED regulators etc.

Not difficult to do - took me about two hours.

The longest time took to get the antenna cable from the top lid - and out the bottom cable rubber path.
Used a wire- fished up the cable in the front of the casing and dragged it out the cable feed/rubber under the top-box.

Well - a short test-run …  not really giving me better reception - less noise from the bike into the radio, but the antenna is not optimal.
Did the test again using a separate 120 cm (5/8) antenna wip mounted on the top-box holder/bracket - and that was/is far better than any of the options - so far.

Will probably make an holder for the tip/antenna in the back of the bike. More like how it was on the K1200LT 

STeinar

Attachments
IMG_1742.jpg
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1740.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg
IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1737.jpg
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Foil antenna (as on the K1600) on a RT

Post by TJRL »

Great to have someone taking the time and effort to look at this. I would love to remove the antenna from the front fairing as I keep catching when walking past the bike in my (very packed) garage and also because the reception is not as good as in my cars (but it should be).
Please keep us updated on your progress and what you finally decide is best.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Anyone know if a 100mm `stubby' Bee Sting type FM antenna,  can be used instead of the standard antenna ?    ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

stelyn wrote: Anyone know if a 100mm `stubby' Bee Sting type FM antenna,  can be used instead of the standard antenna ?    ;)
I know this one works.
Attachments
farkle2.jpg