Rear red LED lights, Topbox painted and horn.

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Gadgetsandwheels

Rear red LED lights, Topbox painted and horn.

Post by Gadgetsandwheels »

Fitted some LED additional lights at very low cost, resprayed my Topbox in San Marino blue and fitted an additional horn. See my YouTube video https://youtu.be/2gVPrH7N84U
Cheers
R1200RT 2015 after previously owning 3 R1200GS bikes.
guest3074

Re: Rear red LED lights, Topbox painted and horn.

Post by guest3074 »

So I'm not the only one to use a piece of string to show the brake lights  :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ehTTV-4uro
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Gadgetsandwheels,
Good job there! Plus the DIY re-spray job on the box lid. Very neat. Re your extra brake lights - any particular reason why you didn't opt for hi-level brake lights in the top box recess (such as Skene P3's)?
PS One of you had better patent the string pull on the brake lever!! ;)
Last edited by Steve F on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the two videos, the Top Boxes are different.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Oops! My mistake. Thanks for the correction. I just took it for granted that he'd re-sprayed the 'new' top box from it's dull aluminium colour to the topical SM Blue ! :-[ The Blueness overwhelmed my spotting that mistake!! ;)
Gadgetsandwheels

Steve F wrote: Gadgetsandwheels,
Good job there! Plus the DIY re-spray job on the box lid. Very neat. Re your extra brake lights - any particular reason why you didn't opt for hi-level brake lights in the top box recess (such as Skene P3's)?
PS One of you had better patent the string pull on the brake lever!! ;)
Thanks. Wanted a with or without top box additional lighting. It's an older top box too as I wanted to avoid spending that much for a new one. May be overboard to put more on the top but all us possible:-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Benchmark wrote:So I'm not the only one to use a piece of string to show the brake lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ehTTV-4uro
Presumably your Bike doesn't have Hill Start Control which I've read, once applied, activates the Brake Light without having to then hold the front brake lever or press the rear brake pedal.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadgetsandwheels

DaygloDavid wrote: Presumably your Bike doesn't have Hill Start Control which I've read, once applied, activates the Brake Light without having to then hold the front brake lever or press the rear brake pedal.
Yes it has that but I think you gotta have the engine running.  So many additional things to add to these bikes. How long is a piece of string?  About 6ft.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Presumably your Bike doesn't have Hill Start Control which I've read, once applied, activates the Brake Light without having to then hold the front brake lever or press the rear brake pedal.
Yes it does, but showing the brake light come on and off is easier with someone operating it, as I didn't have her indoors handy out came the string  ;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks to you both for your replies.

So with the engine running, once the Hill Start Control is activated, the Brake Light comes on until you deactivate the HSC or ride off.

Have I got that correct.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gadgetsandwheels

DaygloDavid wrote: Thanks to you both for your replies.
So with the engine running, once the Hill Start Control is activated, the Brake Light comes on until you deactivate the HSC or ride off.
Have I got that correct.
Yeah. That's how it works for me.
Gadgetsandwheels

Gadgetsandwheels wrote: Fitted some LED additional lights at very low cost, resprayed my Topbox in San Marino blue and fitted an additional horn. See my YouTube video https://youtu.be/2gVPrH7N84U
Cheers
UPDATE ON THE REAR LED LIGHTS
After riding the bike for a few hours with no problems, the computer decided that it didn't like these LED lights, threw up the warning symbol on the dash and switched of all the back lights.  Leaving me with the only option to disconnect them.  I wanted to warn you as what seemed like a good idea (knowing that there was always a chance of can us issues) turned out not to be so good.  What worked initially for some time, obviously isn't a permanent solution.  Just thought I'd add this note to save anyone else going down the same route.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have just ordered some Skene P3s to mount next to the number plate. These have been fitted to many LC RTs and work fine. I already have the top box brake light, but quite often ride without a top box.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Gadgetsandwheels wrote: UPDATE ON THE REAR LED LIGHTS
After riding the bike for a few hours with no problems, the computer decided that it didn't like these LED lights, threw up the warning symbol on the dash and switched of all the back lights.  Leaving me with the only option to disconnect them.  I wanted to warn you as what seemed like a good idea (knowing that there was always a chance of can us issues) turned out not to be so good.  What worked initially for some time, obviously isn't a permanent solution.  Just thought I'd add this note to save anyone else going down the same route.
I was led to believe that if you added the factory LED brake light that the bike needed to be programmed for the addition so as to not cause a problem with canbus errors, as I say only what I've heard so dont take it as gospel  ;)

Best option is to use a separate controller such as skeene IQ-260 :) 
Gadgetsandwheels

Benchmark wrote: I was led to believe that if you added the factory LED brake light that the bike needed to be programmed for the addition so as to not cause a problem with canbus errors, as I say only what I've heard so dont take it as gospel  ;)

Best option is to use a separate controller such as skeene IQ-260 :)

Thanks.  I will put some thought into it and maybe go down that route.  Shame.  They actually looked pretty good.