ESA Fault and Idling problems

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
MIKO

ESA Fault and Idling problems

Post by MIKO »

Hi Just new here, but I need some help. Got an 07 BMW R1200RT SE, with quite a few miles on the clock 53000 (Like me), bike looks OK well kept, and is always garaged with my other BMW R1200gs. Having two problems:

Problem 1
The ESA is not working in regards to One Helmet/Two Helmet etc. Had it checked on a diagnostics instrument and it said fault B2326, Spring strut malfunction, Any one know what this is, and what I have to do to arrange it???

Problem 2
Well it was rarely, but now it is happening often, engine splutters, idling goes berserk, bike misfires a bit and off it goes, while still riding, start again, maybe does it a couple of times more, then the bike is as good as gold again untill the next fit. The Diagnostic, do not show any faults on any parameters, Bike, throttle Bodies, etc. Any Ideas?? I noticed it happens more when the bike is low on fuel.

The bike has been recently serviced, and the valves have been adjusted. Otherwise no probs

Thanks

Miko

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: ESA Fault and Idling problems

Post by David. »

After some research (Google),found a thread on BMWLT, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/5 ... fault.html, about ESA problems, it may be some help.
Reading the thread, initially the Dealer did a software upgrade which adds extra voltage to get the stuck parts moving again.
Subsequently, the shock absorber became stuck again & required replacement.

The second problem could be one of those intermittent faults which is difficult to diagnose.
If it happens when the bike is low on fuel, perhaps it's a fuel supply issue, although cleaning the fuel filter is not a service item, it may be worth checking it.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKO

Post by MIKO »

Thanks for the advice Dave, I am considering the following options, especially since the bike has got some miles on her:

Problem 1

Well I have to try to understand the error, if it is the ESA in itself, or the shock and spring. The reason is that I can contact Wilbers, send them the the whole units, and they can use only the motors of the ESA, and put them on their shocks, and their springs, if the error means that the esa is gone, I will get only the shocks, and do not have to send my shocks to them.  A question I have is that I have heard that wilbers can have the shocks customised in size, I am quite short and was thinking of having the front shock 20mm lower, while the back the same size, any one has this system? I beleive the decrease on the front will help in cornering, I had this on a Blackbird, and it handled much better, as well on the Hayabusa I had the same arrangement? Any comments on BMW??

Problem 2

The general belief of this fault is that the fuel is tampered, so I have already put an additive in the tank to clean the tank, decrease any humidity or water content in the Tank, and clean the injectors. Plan B will be to try to balance the Idling of the bike, Plan C is to change the FPC. I have read a lot about faults in the Fuel Pressure Controller, and that many riders carry a bridged version with them. My question is simple, by chance anyone had his FPC kaput or rather malfunctioning, yet it does not show on the diagnostic tool??

Thanks mates, really appreciate your help, down here there are only 7 RT1200, privately owned and most are 2010 version, except for the Traffic Police which are equipped with the RTP which does not have the ESA.

Miko

Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I had a K1200GT that had the same as your 'problem 2'. It turned out to be water in the fuel
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7MIVPfic4
& RealOEM http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=33_1742,
the pre-load motor is not available without the rear shock absorber.

Therefore, as you say it needs to be determined what the fault is, can the electrical connection be removed from the motor & tests done to diagnose whether or not the ESA system is sending a voltage to the motor.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKO

Post by MIKO »

Dave

Well regarding problem 1, the Diagnostic instrument used was a Motorscan MS 5650, but I cannot locate on the net anywhere to identify this error. I do not believe that the ESA is at fault, after all it still changes the comfort/normal/sport modes, and I can feel the difference when riding the bike. I have noticed some rust on the rear shock, as I said it is 53000 miles old, true the bike is happy with me at 60Kgs, but I think the strut and the spring have gone, mind you I do not see any oil spills, but as you know without taking the whole item out, you cannot really inspect the shock. But I will be very happy if I Find what the error says. May try to hook it with the GS911 of a friend. As well I have noticed that when I leave the handlebars, the bike inclines a bit to the left, which I can easily counterweight, but the bike is not perfect, this could be that the adjustment is stuck sideways,, if you can understand me, I have read about it in some GS forums actually.

Regarding problem 2 I can check if my 2006 R1200GS has got the same FPC, I believe that these match, when I had the TPS gone bust on the GS I just had to take off the TPS of the F800GS I had at that time as well, and voila, same part numbers, just took 2 minutes to dismantle from one bike and 2 minutes to mount on the GS, and it worked perfectly and then the GS 911 was not giving faults on the GS, while the bike would not mantain idling below 3200 revs, misfired like nuts, and stank of unburnt fuel with black clouds. HO then learnt a lesson, unless something is totally gone, the diagnostics most of the time will NOT show errors, it only showed an error when I took off the TPS....great

Regarding water in the tank, I have a very good inclination to believe it, since condensation can form easily in the plastic petrol tank. Down here we just finished Summer with daily temp of 40C, I had a small green plastic bottle with some fuel in the garage, and I noticed condensation spots inside the bottle, so maybe that is how the water gets in there??

Miko
Last edited by MIKO on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Don't forget that the Damping & Pre-load motors are two different items on the rear shock absorber.

Have you got a wiring diagram.

Does the rear of the bike feel solid as if the shocker is seized up.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKO

Post by MIKO »

Dave

The rear moves up and down, as I said not that I have much impression on it with my weight, but it goes, maybe I need the remapping if I can lay my hands on the programme? And when I ride with my wife there is as well a bigger movement, but usually I prefer the GS for 2 up, the gearbox on the GS has got much more torque to pull, and when we go for vacation, even the loaded boxes of the GS feel better, and the gear ratios of the GS are that the 3rd gear of the GS has the same pull as the first gear of the RT, Obviously, the speed and smoothness of the RT have no comparison with the GS which feels like a rambling train when you hit the 100 to 110 miles, not like the RT which is much more handable and way more smoother on high roads.

Miko

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at this thread from BMWSportTouring, http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... 581&page=1, it says,

"You can test by unplugging the motor connector for the rear shock. This is a 2 wire connector under the seat near the right frame tube. Trace the wires from the shock motor to be sure that you have the correct connector. Apply 12 volts to the 2 wires leading to the shock motor and then reverse the polarities. The shock should raise and lower as you do this. This will tell you if the shock is OK.

Reconnect the shock wires and try it while you observe the shock. (engine running, trans in neutral) It helps to have someone else operate the button for you. If the shock is not moving, you have a computer issue. The dealer should be able to fix the problem by running their diagnostic computer on the bike and doing an update."
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKO

Post by MIKO »

That is a great link you got me there thanks.

By the way , yes I got the wiring diagram, and yep I will try to give it 12 volts directly to see if it moves.

By the way yep the 05-07 R 1200GS and the 05-09 R 1200RT have got the same Fuel pump, Fuel tank sensors, and Fuel pressure controllers, just checked them on the Micro fische, So why is there so many complains for the RT but you rarely hear about complains on the GS??? (I mean regarding fuel feed issues)

Well the GS pump is not situated on top of the hill either, they both are placed where they can get dirt, water and slime...

Miko

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Last edited by David. on Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIKO

Post by MIKO »

Thanks mate

Well I have solved the problem of the fuel feed, I just put in a small can of Bardahl fuel and injector cleaner, and voila, it has not coughed up once more.

Unfortunately I was sick... I had stones in my bladder.... so I have not had time to take care of the ESA, but hopefully when I am fully recovered I shall try this as well, and have the switch and wiring checked.

thanks

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MIKO wrote:Well I have solved the problem of the fuel feed, I just put in a small can of Bardahl fuel and injector cleaner, and voila, it has not coughed up once more.
Excellent, maintenance in a tin, http://www.bardahl.nl/en/product/12109- ... leaner-en/
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Best of luck with all of your issues MIKO including the stones. The great thing about this site is we have peopl like DayglowDavid, RTman, and many more who are prepared to help others with what would have seemed like an insurmountable problem, Chapeau to you all.
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

MIKO wrote: Hi Just new here, but I need some help. Got an 07 BMW R1200RT SE, with quite a few miles on the clock 53000 (Like me),bike looks OK well kept, and is always garaged with my other BMW R1200gs. Having two problems:

Problem 1
The ESA is not working in regards to One Helmet/Two Helmet etc. Had it checked on a diagnostics instrument and it said fault B2326, Spring strut malfunction, Any one know what this is, and what I have to do to arrange it???

Problem 2
Well it was rarely, but now it is happening often, engine splutters, idling goes berserk, bike misfires a bit and off it goes, while still riding, start again, maybe does it a couple of times more, then the bike is as good as gold again untill the next fit. The Diagnostic, do not show any faults on any parameters, Bike, throttle Bodies, etc. Any Ideas?? I noticed it happens more when the bike is low on fuel.

The bike has been recently serviced, and the valves have been adjusted. Otherwise no probs

Thanks

Miko

Could be the fuel pump and/or partially blocked fuel filter.  The Honda Deauville was guilt of this going up hill when gravity did not assisit in fuel flow.  Its worth a try

Bikerman1042