Think I might have wasted a bunch of money!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Crater

Re: Think I might have wasted a bunch of money!

Post by Crater »

Hi Lubedude. What was the end result? They say good service is how people deal with a problem, not whether you have a problem in the first place. Kind of true but Hondas don't break down in the first place.
I had a new Triumph three years ago and it broke down as I drove home from the dealers. Battery flat, not charging, plug under the tank loose. They came and picked me up, fed and watered me. Manager flame torched the mechanics for their poor prep, kept the shop open to get it fixed straight away and gave me free first service later. All in all I was impressed despite their initial mistake. Just a thought but if your BMW dealer didn't have a new battery in stock (strange) why didn't he take one from one of the new bikes in the shop?
Lubedude

Post by Lubedude »

Not sure why they didn't take a battery from a bike they already had. I guess they just didn't care enough. Anyway the bike is still in the shop waiting for a starter, which they claim caused the battery to discharge and ruined the battery. Once the new starter is installed they will check the immobilizer which they think may also be causing the problem. The case continues!
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Lubedude wrote: Not sure why they didn't take a battery from a bike they already had. I guess they just didn't care enough. Anyway the bike is still in the shop waiting for a starter, which they claim caused the battery to discharge and ruined the battery. Once the new starter is installed they will check the immobilizer which they think may also be causing the problem. The case continues!

At this point, I would be having a conversation with general manager, explaining why I wanted another bike (new). Not acceptable dealer service
Where are you located so the rest of us can avoid this lousy service
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The service you are getting is not acceptable and it's time to get angry.  Their comment about the imobilser is interesting.  They tell you they haven't  got a battery but without a charged battery connected or one with a very low charge it always shows a fault. Demand a new bike or your money back.
JayCee

Post by JayCee »

This thread also appears on another RT forum.
Obviously 'so sad to have to post ' he had to post it twice.
Last edited by JayCee on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The longer this goes on the stranger it gets.  You have to ask where's the replacement vehicle, standard practice in Europe.  Why over 3 weeks to get quite normal replacement parts.  Makes you wonder.
Lubedude

Post by Lubedude »

RTman10 wrote: The service you are getting is not acceptable and it's time to get angry. Their comment about the imobilser is interesting. They tell you they haven't got a battery but without a charged battery connected or one with a very low charge it always shows a fault. Demand a new bike or your money back.
Located in the Houston area, got the bike back today. New battery and new starter. Only got to ride a couple of miles to the house. Next chance I get I will try and get some miles on it to make sure it is OK. Last time it quit I was on my way to work and never made it.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

At last ah.  Would now suggest the least they can do is give you a free first service.  Look on the bright side, you are probably not up,to your neck in snow.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Fingers crossed that it's all OK now and that you can get on with enjoying the bike.
Lubedude

Post by Lubedude »

RTman10 wrote: At last ah. Would now suggest the least they can do is give you a free first service. Look on the bright side, you are probably not up,to your neck in snow.
They have mentioned that BMW would try to make it right, and yes no snow. It is 56 degrees F. here.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Lubedude wrote: They have mentioned that BMW would try to make it right, and yes no snow. It is 56 degrees F. here.

I see you haven't bothered to update the thread you started on the other RT forum. Might be an idea to close it off. Saw you got some what of a hard time from them.

Are you still going to trade or keep the bike.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Steve F wrote: Time to push for a goodwill gesture once the bike is back and sorted.......??
Agree completely, I had a new K1600GT two years ago and on the first ride out the start motor jammed on (which was interesting!) bike stranded 50 miles from home.  BMW were good they got the bike back, dealer was very apologetic (and if I am honest they were very good) replaced said faulty item and delivered bike back...  They have looked after me well since then and even though I was livid at the time:-) it never detracted from the following 2 years mega enjoyment of the bike...  Peter
Lubedude

Post by Lubedude »

I have gotten the bike back although it came with a new scratch. It was the starter although I have not been riding yet to confirm that it is fixed. Maybe today the weather is decent . I need to get my confidence back in this machine. 35 years on Yamaha's and never got left on the side of the road. Jury is still out on this BMW thing.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I bought a new Harley CVO Road King in 2014. Expensive bike. I have only owned my 2014 BMW for a week. First trip was 200+ miles, all went well, apart from a sore bum. Hoping my BMW ownership will take me to the dealers less than the Harley has. In 2 years I have been back 3 times for recalls and 4 times for warranty claims. When the bike was delivered, came on a truck from up North, because they CVO's were limited. Went off for a ride, went to fill up, couldn't switch the engine off, there is no ignition switch, keyless, just the cut off. Bloody switch was broken. It took 6 weeks to get a new one from the States. Quality in the good old US of A is not great. Hoping BMW will be better, if I get on ok, I may get a new RT in a year or so.
Last edited by Casbar on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lubedude

Post by Lubedude »

Took it out for a ride today added 50 miles, so far so good. Now I have to learn how to work all the options!