Skene IQ-160-TS installation

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
yellowjacket

Skene IQ-160-TS installation

Post by yellowjacket »

I am trying to install some Skene P3 lights on my 2016 R1200RT LC. The installation went well except I have no brake lights on the new Skene lights. Anyone know the color of the brake light wire on the new LC RT's? Instructions say to hook the white wire to the wire with the black stripe. Not much info for sure.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Skene IQ-160-TS installation

Post by T6pilot »

Yellowjacket
Are you installing just P3 lights or IQ160-ts in addition
I went with P3 lights on my 15, Jerry Skenes directions on his web page pretty much handled it, wire loom you tie into is on right side of bike, trim back some of the tape covering, stripes on wires kind of difficult to see without a bright lite
FYI I programmed mine to be steady with three flashes on brake application, easiest way to program is to run a lead from positive on battery and flash with red power wire, tapping brakes never seemed to work for me. I've done over a dozen installs and if I can do it anyone can
Jim
Jim
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

Well Jim the install went well except for the brake light. Everything else works good. The instructions said to tie the white controller wire to "the wire with the black stripe". What color wire with a black stripe. I think the gray wire with black stripe is correct but I just don't know. I am just installing the IQ-160-TS lights to my stock 2016 RT
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Yellowjacket
Brake light is gray wire with black and yellow stripe according to instructions, I had to twist wire around to find stripe, not near bike now can shoot pictures this weekend
Jim
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Sorry looked at my pic's
Gray and black wire, stripe was well hidden
Jim
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

If you have the round connector that is used to power the topbox that also has the brake light cable in it, that's where I connected my skene lights into on my UK 2015 RT  :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

T6pilot wrote:I went with P3 lights on my 15, Jerry Skenes directions on his web page pretty much handled it.
Is this the web page, http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/R1200RT.shtml
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

GOT IT DONE !!!!
I pulled the back rack and taillight assembly and found the gray wire with the black stripe. Tapped into it and PRESTO the brake light worked. For some reason the same gray wire with the black stripe under the rear seat would not work. I tried 2 separate wire taps and nothing. I moved 8" toward the taillight and tapped the same wire and it worked. I guess that is a BMW thing. By the way, these lights are the brightest lights I have ever seen. I WOULD HATE TO BE BEHIND ME WHEN I HIT THE BRAKES.
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Yellowjacket
It's my buddies following me that has caused me to do so many installs, work equally well on Hondas, yamahas and even harleys
Jim