Possible Front daytime LEDs for R1200RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Gadgetsandwheels

Possible Front daytime LEDs for R1200RT

Post by Gadgetsandwheels »

Now looking at LEDs for the front. These are the ones I've considered so far. From Halfords. Ring brand. Not exactly easy to find a good mounting point but I'm thinking of getting them mounted vertically without looking cheap n cheerful.  Will come back if I get a successful conclusion.

https://youtu.be/tDqFkvOFVpg
R1200RT 2015 after previously owning 3 R1200GS bikes.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Possible Front daytime LEDs for R1200RT

Post by T6pilot »

We have skene photon Blasters on both our bikes, use front fender support for location mounting
Very visible in both daylight and darkness
Jim
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Will you be having a switch on them or some method of them going off when it's dark? Only some DRL's are too bright for night use.

I know they're expensive but I use clearwater lights on the front which function as DRL's and auto dim from the bike itself and go to full brightness on full beam as spot lights  :)
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I just looked at the Clearwater Site and installation of their light system really impressed. Thanks for the heads up on that site Benchmark  :beer: :beer:
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Spencert231 wrote: I just looked at the Clearwater Site and installation of their light system really impressed. Thanks for the heads up on that site Benchmark  :beer: :beer:
You're ok, but I should of said the auto dimming is only available on the water cooled bikes, also the extra device (the CanOpener) will also operate any additional rear side/brake lights that you may want to add  :)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Spencert231 wrote: I just looked at the Clearwater Site and installation of their light system really impressed. Thanks for the heads up on that site Benchmark  :beer: :beer:

These do look good lights, expensive but good. My mates have the BMW additional lights placed either side of the front forks making a triangle of light between headlight and aux lights. Must admit it does significantly improve visibility. What I like about the Clearwater lights are that they are LEDs, very bright and solid state with low current draw. Never been a fan of additional lights but I'm slowly coming round to their benefits. May have to start saving.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Levisp wrote: What I like about the Clearwater lights are that they are LEDs, very bright and solid state with low current draw.
Any indication what the Max electrical draw would be on  the system,  ( sorry may have missed this part)    ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The Darla lights consume on high 24 Watts each thats 2 amps each. Total 4 amps for the pair on the high setting.

Just read their spec again and it states input power or consumption as being 20 Watts each. Either way its a very low power consumption for an impressive power output.
Last edited by Levisp on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gadgetsandwheels

Benchmark wrote: You're ok, but I should of said the auto dimming is only available on the water cooled bikes, also the extra device (the CanOpener) will also operate any additional rear side/brake lights that you may want to add :)
Thanks for info.  Do you happen to know which wire to tap into to get the auto-dimming current?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Gadgetsandwheels wrote: Thanks for info.  Do you happen to know which wire to tap into to get the auto-dimming current?
This is done by the CanOpener from Clearwater which taps into the bikes canbus and reads the data from the bike.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com//infopg_CANopener.html
Last edited by guest3074 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadgetsandwheels

Benchmark wrote: This is done by the CanOpener from Clearwater which taps into the bikes canbus and reads the data from the bike.
https://www.clearwaterlights.com//infopg_CANopener.html
Ah right. It looks like the Angel eyes operate in that way so I'm assuming the source current for those will be pre-regulated.
vx5r

Post by vx5r »

I just installed the Clearwater Lights Darla with Canopener and Billie brake light.  Am very happy with the results and the way the controls work out.  Might be a bit spend but I see it as a great asset.  Love the way the lights flash with the horn....
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

vx5r wrote: Love the way the lights flash with the horn....

That's cool.  Probably illegal - but cool!

;) ;)
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

I'm working on the same strategy of using Ring DRL.  Purchased from Halfords for £25, total power usage is 16w.
Looking at hard wiring them straight to the power socket that's behind left panel, which unless someone tells me otherwise, is the BMW aux light feed?
Wasn't looking at having them switched, just on all of the time the bike is running, had them on my LT for many years, worked a treat.
I'm not after extra light to see better, just purely for physical presence on the road, I believe it's called self preservation........
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Dare I ask how much the Clearwater lights are inc fitting ?