Is it me or is it my Top Box

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Rocket Tim

Is it me or is it my Top Box

Post by Rocket Tim »

At long last, I now have my new RT, sunday was the first day I managed to clock up 87 miles on the bike, as one is driving around you get thirsty so stopping off at a watering hole( for tea and coffee only),I said to my trusty passenger we will now put our crash helmets in the Tot box, after about 10 min of trying we decided to give up, I could get my new BMW helmet in, but my passenger could not.
After doing calculations and rough measurements, it was about 8mm to big to fit in.
I have also tried other makes crash helmets  and when you go to close the lid the hinges and the latch is under tension because there's not enough room inside the box.
Another 10mm inside the box would make it user-friendly, I will not look at the invoice to see how much it cost.
Look and build quality 9/10, removing box and multi-plug 4/10, I guess most top boxes are therefore crash helmets so 1/10.
But to finish on a positive note, I'm really love Bike.
Even I am not perfect.
Last edited by Rocket Tim on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Is it me or is it my Top Box

Post by guest2360 »

The BMW 49lt box is designed to take 2 BMW System 6 or Sports helmets with ease. put anything underneath them like you gloves and they won't.

guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Rocket Tim wrote: removing box and multi-plug 4/10,
Not a problem for me as I never remove the topbox, if I do remove any it's the side cases making the bike a little easier to filter and still giving some storage space.

But yes if I wanted to keep removing the box, what a silly place to put the catch and also unlike the previous box there is no carrying handle  :( clearly mr BMW wants you to leave it on.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I found the space very tight in my 49l box for two full face helmets. A Shoei XR110 anda Neotech.
I have to place them visor forward or they won't fit.

Rocket Tim

Post by Rocket Tim »

Good morning everyone.
I do have a new BMW system six helmet and my old helmet was a Shoei Neotech, but even removing the small piece of carpet as you close the lid you can feel the rear hinge and locking mechanism coming under tension as you close the latch, when trying to fit crash helmets yes the box was completely empty and even removing the lining.

I guess closing the lid putting down the latch and not worrying about hinges or distortion then it would close yes.

Considering the top box has, interior light, gas struts, brake light, you would've thought being state-of-the-art in electronics that a small pad on the bottom of the box and on the rack of the motorbike could have four or five pickups, so as you remove the box you would disconnect from the electrical system and yes putting a carry handle in would have been too much effort.

Do you know if you can fit in the box a small charging point for phone small laptop, like they are standard in some other makes of bikes, I tried in the showroom to put my phone into the glove box would not fit it is a Samsun note 4.

Oh just food for thought when we are paying one over £1000 for a radio and it has AM / MW /Fm, why could they have not fitted digital, I guess the components would be no more bigger than the size of a lump of sugar.

Look forward to hearing from you guys,
ride safe and have fun.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My guess is if you try the box with just the 6 in nothing will touch.  Shoei lids have big shells.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I can fit 2 Shoei Multitec Helmets in my pre-LC 49 litre Top Box with loads of room for gloves etc.

It's also got a carrying handle & is easy to remove from the bike.

Sounds like it's not you, it's your Top Box.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.