2007 vs 2015 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
sgtgarnier

Re: 2007 vs 2015 RT

Post by sgtgarnier »

Here in the United States BMW has a plan that is very similar to lease plan. The payments are based over 4 years and you are essentially paying for half the value of the motorcycle. So the payments are very low. At the end of the four years or 3 years after the warranty has expired you trade the motorcycle in and you purchase a new one. Based on my understanding when you trade the motorcycle in you are approximately 1,500 to 2,000 dollars on the plus side of things. It's an affordable way to always stay with the latest technology and afford the newest bike that you could possibly buy.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Manofleisur wrote: Well my 2007 model I acquired last month only has 18,000 miles on the clock and runs like a dream. As I have never tried the latest model I do not miss what I have not ridden !!!  :)

Regrets I've had a few, but then again too few to mention (Frank Sinatra)
bmwdean

Post by bmwdean »

I have both. I would not part with either one.

Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

bmwdean wrote: I have both. I would not part with either one.
Dean, thank you very much for you website very informative. I currently ride my bike 07 1200R w panniers in a very affluent area, Pebble Beach CA. I lane-split a lot due to summer/holiday traffic. This week is the Pebble Beach Concours and I literally lane split 10miles of Paganis, Lamborghinis, Rolls and the like to avoid hours of traffic. I even passed an ariel atom. Im taking delivery of my 15 1200RT tomorrow and I feel very uncomfortable about all the new girth or the RT. Your websites states the pannier width of the Wethead, but I cant find the pannier width for the Hexhead. I just want to know how much more my 15's ass is sticking out relative to the 07s. I tried measuring myself, but not confident as its very difficult to do alone.

How much wider are the panniers on the Wethead vs the Hexhead? Again thanks
Wayne
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Manofleisur wrote: Well my 2007 model I acquired last month only has 18,000 miles on the clock and runs like a dream. As I have never tried the latest model I do not miss what I have not ridden !!!  :)
My 2005 rt has 63k miles on it and it runs beter than ever.  Very comfortable and smooth.  Definitely doesn't have the performance of the LC, but its paid for.  [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I'd say my '05, which I loved, was more substantial feeling (better tolerances, tighter build).  However, the added power, especially down low, and the technology upgrades make my 2015 more enjoyable TO  ME. 
Jonathon7457

Post by Jonathon7457 »

Hi all.
New to this Web page forum.
Had a little look around this site but still learning to navigate as I'm not much of a techno.

Anyway. Last yr I went to the Harley open day in Norwich. I had a spare day and sometimes enjoy looking at what others have done to their HD. Personalisation etc.
I don't rub shoulders with hog members. Find they can be a bit insular. But I think these people know that.

Anyway. A quick walk around inside and out with my free cuppa. And got to say. Everyone was polite.
The BMW show room is right next door. And attached.
Another walk round with 2nd free cuppa. I was surprised at some of the prices. In a good way. And even more surprised at the fact I really liked some of these BM''s.
I started riding bikes on the beach as a kid in the north east. Police turned a blind eye back in the 70's.
But I've never really liked fully faired sports and tourers.
Always hankering for a harley.
Retro style was the next best thing for me and my wallet. 
Out of the corner of my eye I spot a 2009 r1200 RT LE.
Walked past it a few times.
Had my 3rd and 4th cuppa. Chatted with other BMW owners.
All the while something niggled me.
I couldn't uderstand why I was drawn to this particular BMW.
In the late 80''s and early 90's
I'd read about the old R series in the small green and blue bike mag/book that came out monthly. And only had stories of riders and their bikes of their jollies far and wide.
Most common bike in these stories were the BMW R series. That air cooled engine doing impressive miles.
Closely followed by the kawasaki gt 550 and 750.
Standing next to the RT. I had a quick chat with the sales manager. Arranged a cash discount.
And purchased it without a test ride.
My thought process being. I'm buying from a BMW bike shop. What can go wrong.
This was the LE verion which I believe only 200 were made.
Fsh. 11k miles. 1 owner.
Cd radio. Mp3 connection.  Cruise. Sat nav. Etc.
I think it came with every extra could be squeezed on.

24 hrs later. Being an avid harley rider for the last 8 yrs. I thought maybe I was a bit impulsive. Translated to, what have I done...
I've owned the bike for 10 months now.
And this is a fantastic bike in every way.
So easy to ride and steers itself round the bends.    Almost.
I am particularly pleased I got the air cooled unit. As this is the one I used to read about so often. All those yrs ago.

Anyway. If you've read this far. Thanks.
(I'm in practice for when I write my auto biography)
But I'd like to hear of any top tips for the 2009 model.

Oh and I've still got the harley.
It's 10 yrs old. I've stripped it. Re  sprayed and tuned. So it's a bit of a one off. And can never be sold.
But this BM is just something else.
Cheers in advance for any replies.
Jon
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Manofleisur wrote: So why pay top dollar when you can spend the cash saved on a new bike on touring Europe on the money saved.

Well said, spot on.
Chris
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I looked at a New LE, fully loaded without radio, but with dynamic - around 18k

The bike I just bought, 2014, fully loaded and has a radio, dynamic pack, aux lights, top box painted with brake lights and a set of inner bags. 2900 miles from new, 13k, enough said  :)  Hell of a lot of bike for that. My Harley which is a CVO Road King, cost me around 25k two years ago, shudder to think how much that has depreciated.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Johnathon7457, welcome to the club, interesting `first' posting, enjoy this forum  ( and the Bike )....... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome Johnathon 7457. I had one of those, all black with a matching top box.  The paint was by far the best quality of any of my previous RTs. BMW always seem to produce black versions just before an update. To be honest I preferred the engine over the 2010 which I'm convinced was just a stop gap for the arrival of the water cooler engines.
Jonathon7457

Post by Jonathon7457 »

Thanks for the welcome notes and info ☺
Looking forward to swapping tips.
Kind regards to all.
Jon.