Riding with luggage & pillion

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
adewhitmarsh

Riding with luggage & pillion

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I would like some advice on riding with luggage  & a pillion.the weight off the bike when loaded up is very heavy,any tips on this.also my wife finds it difficult to get on when the panniers are fitted.Any advice or tips would be great
guest2360

Re: Riding with luggage & pillion

Post by guest2360 »

I find very little difference to the handling with the exception of overfilling the top box.  Wife has no problem with panniers but she does get on by standing on the left footrest. That way they don't get in the way and its only me who occasionally give them a kick getting on. Fully loaded its also a more comfortable ride.  When I'm occasionally let out by myself its definitely a more bumpy ride but can I say more fun.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you think that is heavy try riding my Harley, it weighs about a 85kg more without any luggage. Took my wife out Sunday, she is only 5ft nothing, and had no issues getting on and off. She also stood on the left peg.

Would defiantly do some slow riding practice, that is when the weight will catch you out
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Wife to stand at nearside of bike, place left foot on pillion peg at about 45 degrees to normal seated position. Grasp rider's shoulder with left hand and rest right hand on Top Case if fitted (makes getting on easier). Apply weight to foot peg and at same time hitch up using rider's shoulder and Top Case to aid purchase. Unless she has an inside leg measurement of over 50 inches she won't be able to mount not using the foot peg especially with the Pannier Cases fitted. Fully loaded and with a pillion on board can be quite a challange until you get used to it. Be very careful during slow speed manouvres, tight turns and starting and doing 90 degree turns on steep inclines. The quicker you go fully loaded (within reason) the RT becomes more "planted" and as RTman10 says, more comfy.
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Our Gee.  Yep  that's what I meant to say. And basically the reverse for getting off except use both shoulders to pull herself upright, especially if you haven't bothered to stop for a couple of hours.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Agree what the other guys are saying re - pillion getting on and off,  I'd only had mine a week when we toured Wales last June, and found the extra weight a handful at times till I got more used to it, best bit of advice I got from a fellow RT rider was make sure your in 1st when you set off.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi adewhitmarsh, welcome to this great Forum, hope your enjoying the RT and now have the answers you sought.,  ride safe...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

Hi,

Adding to Our Gee´s good tip:

If you are already on the bike, make sure your feet are well planted so you know there is no gravel/sand on the ground to slip on and then give your pillion an "Ok" before she steps on the footpeg.

Moreover, when riding at slow speed, say less than 50 kph/30 mph or when coming to a red light stop, it is important that your pillion don´t make sudden moves unless you are prepared for it.
Just stretching a leg or even an arm can make you lose balance and if the surface is a little uneven (often at stop signs/stop lights) putting a foot down may not help to stabilize all that weight leaning.

Otherwise, while riding the RT it is so stable you will hardly feel any difference in stability vs not loaded.
I rode a rented F 800 GT in Italy last May and on that bike you feel the difference in stability with luggage and pillion.

// Stefan
R 1200 RT  2011
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Ok,thanks for all the advice .We are off on a 10 day trip in August through France,Germany  (B500) &  the Switzerland passes,so I will get out on the RT with the wife as much as possible before the trip.cheers Ade
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

Our routine is that the wife asks if Im ready for her to get on. I then ensure both feet are planted and also apply front brake and then brace myself. The missus then uses the left pillion step and my shoulder to climb on with. Works fine for us!!
iRider

Post by iRider »

Ditch the weight and carry a credit card instead. Trade the wife in for a more agile model. Job sorted  :))

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

iRider wrote: Ditch the weight and carry a credit card instead. Trade the wife in for a more agile model. Job sorted  :) )

Somebody had to come up with the ultimate answer.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

iRider, that's a  `cracker',...... :enjoying:    :enjoying:      :enjoying:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I must concur with previous comments concerning "pillion" asking to mount, dismount.
My wife never gets on or off without asking me if I'm ready. It's really important to check rod surface and firmly plant foot / feet.
This is where I find the hand break useful.
As for getting on she follows the left leg on pillion peg and as she finds it difficult to slide her right foot over the rear seat, she tends to lift it high over the top box.
Works for us.
Take care and practice it.
^-^
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

Love iriders answer!
But in truth, I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys touring with the wife because I get to share the great experiences. Oh and unfortunately I have to slum it in more upmarket hotels!
One thing I have found is that she stands on the left peg to get on and over time it starts to twist the rubber round. Anyone got a fix?