Riding with luggage & pillion

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
step2534

Re: Riding with luggage & pillion

Post by step2534 »

If twisting the rubber is yer only problem I reckon she has cracked it.

We have never tried it but Ive seen it where the pillion actually uses the riders left footrest because its lower. It seems to work as well.

My missus has to throw her leg over the topbox as well I think it a age thing
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

iRider wrote: Ditch the weight and carry a credit card instead. Trade the wife in for a more agile model. Job sorted  :) )
I stupidly showed this post to the "Wife" (well I thought it was funny !!). She is very keen to meet up and discuss the agility subject. Sorry but I can't be responsible for the outcome.

:enjoying:
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Fitted Illium rear footboards for Wife, she loves them. Also helps to stop her moving forward when braking as she can put her weight onto the balls of her feet. They are also slightly lower than original footrests.
http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=11-700&pID=69 The only place to get them in the UK is Sportouring LTD in Wales. We paid £289.99 in September.
Attachments
IMG_0117.JPG
Last edited by Bertie on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

They look good Bertie and no doubt practical, but  IMO,  too expensive just for a pair of foot rests ........ :-X
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Try telling the wife it's too much to spend for her comfort and extra security on the pillion!  :)
I don't mind as you can take them off and transfer them to another RT if you change bikes in the future.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

OK, I concede, as  thinking about it,  I did buy SWMBO,  a comfort seat and new Helmet...... :(
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
iRider

Post by iRider »

Our Gee wrote: I stupidly showed this post to the "Wife" (well I thought it was funny !!). She is very keen to meet up and discuss the agility subject. Sorry but I can't be responsible for the outcome.

I'm up for testing her agility,  ;)
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Come on now Irider, lets keep some decorum and respect.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

We must be doing things backwards, but successfully. Wife is 5'4" with short legs. She boards first (with bike still on side stand) as if she were the rider, then just slides back onto the pillion seat. I then use the left rider peg to give a bit extra height to swing my right leg through. Once we are both aboard I have never had a problem standing the bike upright. My Harley friends think we are nuts, but if BMW offered TourPacks, we wouldn't have this issue.
Oh the places we will go
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

BackAtIt53 wrote: We must be doing things backwards, but successfully. Wife is 5'4" with short legs. She boards first (with bike still on side stand)

You have a lot more faith in the side-stand bolt than I would ever have.  I would never put a single person's weight through a side-stand, never mind rider + pillion or (worse) rider + pillion + luggage. 

I can't help but think that will be a really good approach, right up until the day the bolt snaps - and one day it will...

notnotnot
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Me and her do it now and again.  I also thought it would put a huge strain o on the side stand but I don't think it does.  the instant the pillion puts weight on the peg the bikes suspension goes down a touch and by the time you get bum on seat it's normally not far off upright  so the weight in straight down not through the stand. Wouldn't try it with the stand in a low curb though.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

richardbd wrote:
You have a lot more faith in the side-stand bolt than I would ever have.  I would never put a single person's weight through a side-stand, never mind rider + pillion or (worse) rider + pillion + luggage. 

I can't help but think that will be a really good approach, right up until the day the bolt snaps - and one day it will...
I always do when getting on the service bike with the pod where the pillion seat would be as I can't raise my leg that high  ;)
iRider

Post by iRider »

Our Gee wrote: Come on now Irider, lets keep some decorum and respect.

Seriously?  If you think that was disrespectful then you probably need to get out more. It was a clean, light hearted comment that I wouldn't mind my wife reading. By all means hit the report button and let the Admins deal with it, if they think it was disrespectful then I will accept that judgment and leave the forum.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Me thinks Our Gee was having a laugh with you.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Me thinks Our Gee was having a laugh with you.

That's what I thought too...