Faulty Oil Filters !

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Faulty Oil Filters !

Post by Our Gee »

There is a post on another forum concerning faulty Engine Oil Filters and instances of Engine seizures. Has anyone heard anything ?.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Faulty Oil Filters !

Post by T6pilot »

What brand of filter?
Stay away from bargain filters
Jim
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

The thread mentions that the bikes in question where serviced at BMW Dealers.

http://www.bmrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4460
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Quote from BMRider, "My understanding is that on the faulty filter you pour oil into the outer holes in the top and oil should appear in the centre hole but it doesn't.

Using the technique described above, on a TC RT, the Oil Filter can be filled with Oil prior to fitting it on the Bike.
This method "Primes" the Filter & reduces the time required for the Oil Pressure to build up in the Engine.
If the BMRider statement is correct, doing this could save the Engine.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So somebody heard a rumour 9 years ago and somebody commented on it 2 years later.  Sound like some huge problem.  If it was from the same dealer I would suspect the wrong filter type was fitted.  There are about 6 different types across the full range, all the same size, just different part numbers to tell them apart.
kerdoman

Post by kerdoman »

I recently had my 2005 R1200RT SE serviced at my local (non-BMW) shop who fitted a Hi-Flo oil filter prior to my trip to France. On arrival and after unpacking, I noticed an oil stain on the drive and on investigation it proved to be a weeping oil filter.
I cinched it up a little but to no effect. I then ordered another filter from a French website which also turned out to be a Hi-Flo and this was no better - it still wept oil.
Checked the obvious like the rubber oil sealing ring hadn't been left on when the new filter was fitted, but no obvious causes.
Anyone had anything similar happen?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And the moral is. Fit a BMW filter to a BMW engine.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Agree using genuine BMW filters or Mahle filters.
I fitted a hiflo filter to my old R1100RT. Browsing through another forum revealed other folk had issues trying to remove them. Thought nothing about it until the time came to change mine. What a bast##d to get off! It finally came free, but its whole body was twisted badly (and I always torque them up correctly). It didn't leak though.
Back to genuine for me.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I,m a bit puzzled as to where we are going with this. The post on BMRider clearly states that the problem bikes where serviced at a BMW Dealer so presumably the correct BMW Filters where fitted. Nowhere does it state or imply that an incorrect part was fitted, or am I missing something.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As I said earlier, as its allegedidly from one dealer I suspect the wrong OEM ones fitted. who knows its a long time ago.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

ImageRe: Faulty Oil Filters !

Picture of Genuine BMW supplied filter for 2011 build R1200RT. Note the part number differs from that in David's picture.
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My point is made. 2 pics, 2 different part numbers. The one ending 541 is called a service kit and includes crush washers for the dump, gearbox and final drive. Good up until 2014.  There used to be just 3 types. The early  old tube type, 1 for all the R series and 1 for the Ks.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

RTman10 wrote: As I said earlier, as its allegedidly from one dealer I suspect the wrong OEM ones fitted. who knows its a long time ago.
The posted date on ourgees link is 2016 or am I reading this wrong?
It's a worry if the dealers got it wrong though!
Last edited by fatnfast on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

541 filter posted by Our Gee is correct for 2011 bike as stated. 779 filter is for the LC.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I have a feeling that what's puzzling "fatnfast" is the same as what's puzzling me. In RTman10's post he refers to historical, long time ago information. As far as I can see the post by Andrew on BMRider began last Saturday and this was the first time I had heard of this problem and indeed thought it was of interest and concern to us all. Hence my begining of this thread and the link to BMRider. However, if I have misread Andrew's post, (although I have read it half a dozen times now), and the inferred Filter problem is an old well documented and commented on subject then I apologise for stirring up the pot un-necessarily.