Man Down

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BMjoe64

Man Down

Post by BMjoe64 »

On 24 January last was out for a ride with my regular mate when we hit a load of fuel oil just as we were about to overtake a vehicle on a country road. I can't remember what followed but am informed that I spun out of control and hit the deck in a split second. After 90 mins laying in the road I was intubated and airlifted to hospital - with a broken shoulder, ribs and bad concussion. 3 weeks on I am beginning to make progress on the broken bones side and hope that memory will come back on the brain side of things.

Don't know yet whether the bike will be repaired or a write off, and considering a claim against council for poor road = loss of riding gear (which had to be cut off),loss of helmet (which saved my bacon),insurance excess and pain and suffering.

Hasn't curbed my riding urge - just hope that all sorted out by the time I am due to go to Switzerland in July.
Doing this post as part of rehab - end result looks good but you wouldn't believe how crappy it looked the first time around or how long it took to get it right.

Last edited by BMjoe64 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleverbee

Re: Man Down

Post by Cleverbee »

BMjoe64  Good to know you're mending well and hopefully recall will come back to full working order.
Had the fuel oil spillage come from a council depot, I.e. leaking storage tank and onto the road, or a case of spilt diesel already reported to the council and they've done nothing about it?
:(
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That sounded nasty. Well written post so your lid obviously did it's job. Metal doesn't really matter and from what you have described you shouldn't have any problem with insurance. I had a similar incident with a mate on a tour of Scotland a few years ago. Oil on a left hand bend with no way to miss it. His claim was straight forward when the police confirmed the spill.
robparky
Great Britain

Post by robparky »

Good to hear you are on the mend. This is the reason why bikers support the Air Ambulance.  All you others - why not  join Bike4Life Ride Out and Festival 2016 (8 May 2016) Shewsbury to Cosford Airdrome  7000 bikers can't be wrong. http://www.bike4lifefest.com/

The usual rule is if the highway authority was aware of the spillage and hasn't taken any action in a reasonable time or can't demonstrate that they regularly inspect their highways. They can't be expected to know everything that happens on the network but should react, when notified.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery..  Robparky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by robparky on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Best wishes from me too Joe - sounds like a nasty one.

Glad your gear seems to have done its job though and that you're on the mend.

rbd
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, Joe, all the best for a full and speedy recovery and back on the bike in time for your Swiss jaunt in July! :)
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Sounds nasty Joe! But pleased your on the mend and hopping to be back on the bike soon
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Sorry to hear about this.

I wish you a speedy recovery - in plenty of time for the July trip.

Diesel spillage is definitely one of my nightmares - have fallen off myself on a wet bend after a prolonged spell of dry weather.

John
John Bentall
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Thanks everybody for the good wishes.
Cleverbee - I suspect that this was a case of the fuel/oil being on the road, reported to Council but not cleaned up by the time I hit it.
The Fire Tender attended while I was lying in the road. But proving that may be harder.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Glad your OK and on the mend,  first concentrate on getting well  -  the Bike cane be repaired / replaced.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Wierpig
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Wierpig »

Best wishes Joe.Hope you get body and bike sorted.Enjoy Switzerland
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

BMjoe, you can if you haven't already done so, obtain the Police Incident No. that refers to your collision and for the spilage report.  These have the times the incident(s) were reported, but also the time that it was brought to the attention of the council.
I dealt with a serious collision a few years back where the same thing occurred, massive spillage reported several hours earlier on an S bend, resulting in a two vehicle head on collision.
Council were deemed neglegent by one of the victims insurers and costs/damages recovered.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !