Enough is enough

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
mercator1

Enough is enough

Post by mercator1 »

OK, the buying of farkles has to stop. Pretty soon I'll have more money in accessories than in the actual bike itself.

I already had:

Bar backs
Engine protection bars
Highway pegs
Sportboards
Brake pedal extender
Gear shift extender
Enlarged side stand foot
Front fender extender
Garmin Zumo
VStream windshield
Stubby antenna
Grip puppies
Top case and body color paint
Filler cap mounted tank bag
License plate mounted helmet locks

Then for safety reasons, I just added:

Air horn
Driving lights
LED tail light / brake light

Finally, after dropping it sitting at a stop sign and having to replace pannier lid and mirror housing, I added pannier protection bars.

That's it. No more pumping money into this thing. I'd like to have the seat tweaked, and have an action cam mount somewhere, but I have to quit. Have to start spending more money on gasoline and just log more miles.
jackhd

Re: Enough is enough

Post by jackhd »

I hear you
Just like a Harley
But another grand or two should do it.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Proof if we ever needed it that its different over the pond. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Our US friends do like to farkle. They also like to DIY service their bikes. I get a lot of good info regards servicing from US threads in forums. I say carry on the spending and enjoy.
LC cool

Post by LC cool »

Well post some photos and let us see?
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Everything I've put on is for comfort or safety.  I'm sure it's different in the US than in the UK, since in a day I can ride the equivalent of coast-to-coast in UK without having to stop at an intersection.  In the UK, you guys do things like put on narrower panniers so that you can lane filter, and over here, if it's congested, we turn around and go 500 uninterupted miles in the other direction :)
Attachments
rearbars.jpg
Last edited by mercator1 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I am impressed.  500 uninterrupted miles on OEM seats.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: I am impressed.  500 uninterrupted miles on OEM seats.
I didn't say it didn't hurt.  That's why I'd love to have my stock seat tweaked, but I'm spent out right now.  When the weather gets better, though, I'm going to want to do some long rides, and somethings going to have to give with the seat.  It's not that it's that uncomfortable, but I HATE the sliding to the tank when you brake.  Stupid cant to that seat.
JC-RT

Post by JC-RT »

A web sight for the Stubby Antenna direct from the Cravenspeed company is:

https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-original-stubby-antenna-for-2012-2018-bmw-r1200-rt/
MikeS
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

mercator1 wrote: Have to start spending more money on gasoline and just log more miles.

How much is a gallon of petrol over there now? Bet it's cheaper than the UK.
Littlebriar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Littlebriar »

MikeS wrote:
How much is a gallon of petrol over there now? Bet it's cheaper than the UK.
Lowest price is USD2.53/gal for midgrade
Highest price is USD4.31/gal - California

2.79USD/gallon equals  0.57GBP/liter if my calculations are correct.
Steve
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

We pay almost 3 times that per litre    GBP 1.25  to GBP 1.60 per litre depending on where you are  :(
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I remember arriving in London from the US in 1971, buying my first bike (Bonneville) and my first European fill-up.  At the time, premium gas in the US was 25 cents per US gallon.  I was gobsmacked when I converted pounds to dollar and realized petrol was A DOLLAR A GALLON!!!!!!!  Culture shock.  A bunch of us left Sweden after one day when we saw the fuel prices.  Also, the most I've done in a day on the stock RT seat was about 650 miles, and methinks my butt did not protest too much.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Yes i can remember when we struck oil and gas in the North Sea , fill your car and bike up for a pittance leave your central heating on in your house all day no problems gas will be so cheap , what went wrong ? a bunch of numbnuts down London squandered it all away then we decided to give the EU one of the most expensive donations no wonder they wanted us to join , hope we get out soon and maybe we can get our country "Great " again. 
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Hmm - I suggest you read this http://www.businessforscotland.com/uks- ... ways/  for an alternative view.  Oil and gas revenues in the '70s were not "squandered" on payments to the EU, they were squandered by the Thatcher government.  Yes, the UK is a large net contributor to the EU (second to Germany I believe) but the per capita contribution is tiny - probably less than your Netflix or Amazon Prime subscription.  For that you get freedom to travel, live, work or retire throughout the EU with reciprocal health care benefits and numerous other advantages which you will only appreciate you had when they're gone.  I can give you many personal examples of people whose lives are being destroyed by Brexit, but I have yet to hear a leaver articulate any positive benefit that leaving will bring to "ordinary" people.  As for being "Great" again - great for whom?  I remember the '60s -'70s when we were "the sick man of Europe" - is that what you mean by "great"? Brexit will not make Britain "Great", it is destroying it.