Riding gear

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
guest2368

Riding gear

Post by guest2368 »

I have been thinking about my gear over the winter, specifically my trousers. I have good quality Alpinestars textile gear but I don't think the trousers will hold up in an off. In my experience it is always my knees, hips and butt that come off worst when fighting with the road. I am happy to keep my textile jacket now I have got the armour and fit sorted, but I am thinking of getting a decent set of leather touring trousers. So, is there anyone using this leather/textile mix of gear? If so what do you recommend and just as importantly, what would you avoid?

Cheers...
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Riding gear

Post by Steve F »

Like yourself, I'm currently searching for a pair of leather trousers to wear with my textile jacket. I just want a routine pair with knee armour but without the knee sliders or those 'orrible velcro slider mounting points/pads! The one problem I've encountered thus far is the incompatibility of the zips that are intended to hook up with the jacket zip, i.e. to keep the trousers and jacket together when worn. My Halvarsson jacket joining zip will work just fine with another Halvarsson zip, but a different brand......no !! Anyway, trying to find a compatible joining zip on a pair of leather trousers is proving very difficult!!

Good luck ! :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Gave up leathers years ago. You are never the right temperature never truly comfortable and normally damp.  My experience of leather had been that unless you spend mega bucks they always fail at the stitching as double stitching weakens the leather. 
I use the best quality fabric gear I can find/afford with armour in the knees and hips. For the last few years that's been BMW Streetguard. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Have ridden with leather jeans for years. Have a leather jacket for summer and textile for winter. Always found them comfortable. Downside if it rains, you really need waterproof trousers, so a bit of planning required. Got mine from here - http://www.bikersparadise.co.uk/Mens-Leather-Jeans.html
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Cheers folks and thanks for the input.

The leather will be for summer use when touring etc. and I will keep the textiles for commuting during the winter (low speed 12 miles a day to and from work).
The hunt begins...
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I have just got a pair of these,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0091RJA0Y/r ... 71_TE_item

Very pleased with them for the money, and get good reviews, I didn't what a pair that tucked in the boots, and being 6ft tall it proved a problem!
kiki

Post by kiki »

I did an exhausting search for a complete cool weather textile suit, jacket and pants, 2 years ago. I settled on the RUkka Armas jacket and pants. They work brilliant and actually can manage warmer weather. Part of my decision was in step with your comments about durability in a crash. Here is a video showing a durability test of a similar Rukka suit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppPz_s_rAGs

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Rukka Merlin leather suit for me - bulletproof and 100% waterproof too...
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

+1 for Streetguard but sometimes wear Belstaff leathers in Summer. Don't mix and match.
Last edited by k9doc on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Try the Bohn Armor. Wear whatever pants you feel like. This is one serious solution to cover a multitude of "what do I wear" options.
Check out the You Tube at: [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TQq4xniGE[/size] . Bought the hot weather version for the wife and myself. Nice mesh fabric holds up surprisingly well. We have done several 500+ mile days in >80° temperature without creating any crotch pools.Recommend putting on socks before slipping these on. Gives you full lower protection; knee/shins, hips, thighs and tailbone in an undergarment that is hardly noticeable, regardless of choice of pants.

Stay alert, stay safe.
Oh the places we will go