Not motorbike related - What do you do with old books and things

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
STeinar

Not motorbike related - What do you do with old books and things

Post by STeinar »

I have been interested in and working with technology and computers my whole life.
During this 45 years or so - I have collected a zillion of books about technology and computers - hardware and software.

What to do with them - I have kept them in the belief that I one days would have time to re read them - and for some of them - the really old ones - keep them for next generations - to explain what and how thing started.

Same thing with a lot of computer / electronics - I have boxes on boxes of “old” stuff and probably rubbish for most out there.
But - what to do with all this old stuff - put all in the bin and move on - or ?  :-X

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Not motorbike related - What do you do with old books and things

Post by richardbd »

bin...
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I would hope that anyone resident in the UK might consider giving first refusal for old IT-related stuff to the Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park.

There is also a thriving Vintage Wireless Society etc...
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

beemerboy9 wrote: I would hope that anyone resident in the UK might consider giving first refusal for old IT-related stuff to the Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park.
There is also a thriving Vintage Wireless Society etc...
My first thought was also that the local technical museum or similar could be interested, but so far no reply from my email to them.
Like - my fist hard disk 20MB (Not GB but MB) got it from England 1978/79 - and payed at that time £2.800,-
My first ram chip - 24 pin and 128 Bytes of ram (Bytes, not Kbytes or Mbytes as today)
I even has some of the first available transistors - in glass housing
Well these things I will keep, but I have so much other stuff ;-)
What about more than 100 tape cassettes and later diskettes (8" and 5") - holding all kind of stuff (programs) from the start of personal computing.
I know - I don't have a interface to read/load them anymore (Could make one :-) ),but still have problems in throwing them away - as they can never be restored when destroyed.
Not many of you know what this is :-)
It's a memory card, made up from ferrite cores. Total storage is 128 bits
Attachments
IMG_1766.jpg
Last edited by STeinar on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.