BT intercom

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
guest2360

Re: BT intercom

Post by guest2360 »

In my previous life the most common reason for people swapping away from BT was its failure through leakage.  don't think anything electronic with wires coming out of it stuck on the side of your helmet could be guaranteed to be waterproof.  All makes seem to suffer to some degree.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I would agree. Although had used mine in some really bad weather. Saying that my G9 stopped working after riding in terrible rain going to Wales. Using my wife's unit until I buy a new set. It did last some years. My stardom unit went back twice for fixing as well. Nothing electronic is full proof.
Alf170

Post by Alf170 »

I have the Autocom Air for 660 and phone which as it tucks away inside the helmet hasn't suffered from electrical damp issues yet, is crystal clear and works brilliantly for me.. I also have hard wired Autocom system that is plugged into the audio system for my Radio 2 and iPod fix on motorways. BT needed as I use different bikes on occasion but transfer my 660 each time and my wife isn't interested in GPS feed or my phone calls. Can't beat hardware but BT does have its place and I do trust Autocom after years with wired systems.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Totally agree with you.  A good wired system takes some beating.  I hadn't seen any reviews on their Air system and wasn't sure it would be easy to control it with most of it tucked up in the helmet.  Obviously it's not a problem.
Alf170

Post by Alf170 »

The Air has a super slim remote switch similar to the BMW one that sticks to the helmet chin guard/side so apart from switching on/off, can be operated from the switch. Don't partularly like chunky bits clamped onto the side of my helmet hence the Air.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Totally agree with you. A good wired system takes some beating. I hadn't seen any reviews on their Air system and wasn't sure it would be easy to control it with most of it tucked up in the helmet. Obviously it's not a problem.
I don't a good BT system is miles better. The new Scala Packtalk and Smarttalk allows you to communicate with up to 15 riders for 5 miles and if any riders break off the chain doesn't break. Great if you ride with mates. Try doing that with a wired system, even with a PRC. Sometimes you just have to move on. Not everyone is tied to their BMWs.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Last thing I'd want to do is chat with other riders on the move. The pillion is distracting enough.  But I agree If that's you thing BT Is the way to go. On the other hand if it's high quality stereo music at any speed with no need to plug yourself into the mains every night stick with a 21st century wired system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Its not so much chatting to other riders, but in a group if someone falls behind or needs to stop its good to be in contact. I don't want to listen to high quality stereo music because that is distracting, more so than being able to speak to your mates if required. And as discussed before, you can use on any bike and with the later BT any other make such as Sena will connect, so no need for the same helmet cable connections. Auctocom and Stardom were market leaders and the only option but now if you ran a poll with bikers, I bet the Autocom market is small compared to the BT suppliers. But each to their own.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I have both set-ups on my RT - Autocom AND BMW bluetooth.  The Autocom is in my Schubert C3 and the BMW BT in a System 6 Evo.  Don't ask why - it's a long story!  I reckon both have their pros and cons.

The main point with the BMW BT is it connects faultlessly with the bike's on-board audio system (including the Nav 5) - and not many of you BT users can say that.  I also like the way you're not tethered to the bike by a cable.

The big upside with the Autocom is that the sound quality is VASTLY superior - oh and when you're riding a really long day or touring you don't need to worry about how much longer the battery will last or ass yet another charger to your luggage.

Probably the biggest determinant for me though is which you have most of - bikes or helmets.  I only have one bike but several helmets.  Whilst the main Autocom unit isn't cheap and takes time to install,  headsets are cheap and easy to fit, meaning I can switch between helmets as often as I like.

If you have several bikes and one helmet, you may conclude the opposite...

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Well put Sir.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I obviously like BT, there is a lot of rubbish spoken about BT. So charging for instance, mine take 2-3 hours to fully charge at the end of the day. You charge with a usb plug, the same as your mobile phone, so no extra chargers. The PacTalk for instance has 13 hours actual talk time and 1 week standby. Don't know how long you guys ride for, but that is normally enough for me. I switch it off when stopped. I have several helmets, spare cradles are around £40, so not that expensive.

I have never owned an auto com, but did have a star com, and the audio was not massively different. With the latest BT you can just plug in a higher quality speaker if you want, as they connect with a 3mm jack plug.

I don't sell BT, so don't really give a stuff what anyone wants to use :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Why can't I find anything about PacTalk. 13 hours of talk time sounds enough for most and everything for a second helmet for £40 is the sme as Autocom.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

RTman10 wrote: Why can't I find anything about PacTalk. 13 hours of talk time sounds enough for most and everything for a second helmet for £40 is the sme as Autocom.

http://cardosystems.com/portfolio-item/packtalk-2/

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Packtalk is their top of the range, they have just released a smart talk, which is slightly cheaper, but only allows connection for 7 riders I think. Also prices quoted are very negotiable, I have never paid anything like rrp.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thank you.  Scala kit.  Prices are off this world and a second helmet kit at £70 would be a non starter for me.  Let's hope at these prices they have sorted the wet weather problems out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk