Digital Speedo

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Masq85

Digital Speedo

Post by Masq85 »

Like a lot of people I'm hoping to pick up my new RT in a couple of weeks. I've even got a weekend in Bruge booked in May. What I was wondering, and from what I've read so far I don't have much hope, was whether the digital speedo was able to show KMH instead of MPH. I'd like to think so as my C4 Picasso can easily do this just via the clock menu - really useful for trips abroad. 

The alternative is that I can use the Nav 5 and set that to KMH like I have when I've ridden my current bike with TomTom attached but I haven't seen any Nav 5 manuals.
bighopper

Re: Digital Speedo

Post by bighopper »

I too am waiting for my 2016 to arrive some time in the next 4 weeks I hope. We still have snow here.

Anyway I just read through the operation manual, & nothing is mentioned about being able to change that, 'The Fatherland doesn't see to be able to make a change to the electronics to allow that!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No way of changing it I'm afraid. And to make matters even more annoying if you are using the audio unit you cannot have the speedo at all.  Analogue clock does show Kms though and of course you can use your Nav V
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

About time BMW fixed this. All it needs is a small amount of programming to add a Speed Menu MPH/KPH. We could all get it through a software update.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's been the same since 2011 when the clocks came out on the 1600 so don't hold your breath. 
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Levisp wrote: About time BMW fixed this. All it needs is a small amount of programming to add a Speed Menu MPH/KPH. We could all get it through a software update.

Yes, I agree. Pathetic I think sums it up regarding BMW not tweaking the software to display kmh as well as mph digitally!! ::)
Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

RTman10 wrote: No way of changing it I'm afraid. And to make matters even more annoying if you are using the audio unit you cannot have the speedo at all. Analogue clock does show Kms though and of course you can use your Nav V
So, the Nav V can show both then?  I guess that's better than nothing.  As has been said, for a touring bike made to travel across continents, it would be a very simple software tweak to enable both.  I've never relied on the analogue speedo, mainly because the Kilometer numbers are usually so small and I don't really want to use tipex on my brand new bike, besides which my eyes aren't as flexible as they used to be(!!)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nav V converts everything if you set it to metric, ie distance to next turn, road max speed and your speed. Spare a thought for our Euro members. If they come here they don't have the option of even small mph markings on their clocks.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

When you first get the bike there are several conditional choices you need to make within the setup menu. I believe you can make the appropriate choice at that time. 
Oh the places we will go
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

BackAtIt53 wrote: When you first get the bike there are several conditional choices you need to make within the setup menu. I believe you can make the appropriate choice at that time.

The choice of imperial units or metric can only be made by plugging the bike into dealer software or a GS911. So European riders will have Kms as their default unit of measurement. Here in UK and USA will have MPH. When we ride into Europe or you guys cross over to Canada there is no practical way of changing from default MPH to KPH. Crazy !