BMW 1200rt 2005 spare key

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
adewhitmarsh

BMW 1200rt 2005 spare key

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Hi,can I get a spare key cut at my local locksmiths for my 1200rt 2005 or do I need to go to BMW ?? How much should it cost in UK ??
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: BMW 1200rt 2005 spare key

Post by richardbd »

adewhitmarsh wrote: Hi,can I get a spare key cut at my local locksmiths for my 1200rt 2005 or do I need to go to BMW ?? How much should it cost in UK ??

No idea on the RT specifically but I got my local Timpsons to cut me a spare for my 2012 Multistrada.  It worked with no problem whatsoever.  The only thing I had to provide was the blank - which was actually for a Ducati Monster, sourced form the dealer for £5 I think.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

adewhitmarsh wrote:Can I get a spare key cut at my local locksmiths for my 1200rt 2005 or do I need to go to BMW.
The Rider's Manual says,
"You can obtain replacement/extra keys only through an authorised BMW Motorrad dealer. The keys are part of an integrated security system."

My Used 2012 RT was only supplied with one Metal Key, the Dealers kindly provided another FOC.

I think they did it from the VIN Number or there is a code number with the Plastic Emergency key.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As there is a chip in the key you have to get it from  dealer.  They normally will need to see your V5 and another form of identification before they will order you one.  I understand BMW UK hold about 6 spare keys for all bikes.  When they are all gone it's a new ECU.
StephenS

Post by StephenS »

I am getting a spare key cut for £15. But it not chipped, so will not start the engine. I intend to keep it in an inside zipped pocket in my jacket, so that when touring, I can open the panniers.  I will keep my spare wallet key (which will start the engine) taped inside a pannier or in the glove box.

I'm planning to tour Scotland and I don't want to be many leagues from the nearest dealer, with no key.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

StephenS wrote: I am getting a spare key cut for £15. But it not chipped, so will not start the engine. I intend to keep it in an inside zipped pocket in my jacket, so that when touring, I can open the panniers.  I will keep my spare wallet key (which will start the engine) taped inside a pannier or in the glove box.

I'm planning to tour Scotland and I don't want to be many leagues from the nearest dealer, with no key.

My MTS spare "dumb" key was for exactly that purpose.  It was a keyless-ride bike, so I buried the ignition key in my kit and used the dummy for panniers.

The only point we differ on is that I've never bothered to carry a spare "live" ignition key (and nor would I).  On the MTS, you could start it without the key, if you knew the pre-set PIN.  My RT has old-fashioned, keyed ignition but I'd be gob-smacked (or would I?) if BMW had been dumb enough to design a keyless system with no by-pass.  Even the Italians thought of that one...

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think there might be some security issues about leaving a chipped key with the bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No bypass I am aware of.  No keyless fod , no engine.  For that matter get a flat battery with the steering lock on and it stays on.  Been there done that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

A bit off topic, but is a plastic emergency key supplied with the 2016 rt? I had one for my k1300s but have not been given any last week when I took delivery of my new pride and joy........
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I didn't get one with my 14 RT. Think they have probably stopped them unless you have keyless as I got one with that.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Rusty-pie wrote:A bit off topic, but is a plastic emergency key supplied with the 2016 rt?
No,

Ignition Keys
"You receive 2 ignition keys."

Ignition with Keyless Ride
"You receive one radio-operated key and one emergency key."
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I am getting a spare key cut for £15. But it not chipped, so will not start the engine. I intend to keep it in an inside zipped pocket in my jacket, so that when touring, I can open the panniers.  I will keep my spare wallet key (which will start the engine) taped inside a pannier or in the glove box.

Dont follow you.  If you have keyless the emergency key has to be held very close to the filler cap to activate the system.  It won't work taped in a pannier.  You will also get a warning light showing all the time when its used.
if you haven't got keyless you must put a chipped key in the lock. Or have I lost the plot of this thread.
StephenS

Post by StephenS »

RTman10 wrote: I am getting a spare key cut for £15. But it not chipped, so will not start the engine. I intend to keep it in an inside zipped pocket in my jacket, so that when touring, I can open the panniers.  I will keep my spare wallet key (which will start the engine) taped inside a pannier or in the glove box.

Dont follow you.  If you have keyless the emergency key has to be held very close to the filler cap to activate the system.  It won't work taped in a pannier.  You will also get a warning light showing all the time when its used.
if you haven't got keyless you must put a chipped key in the lock. Or have I lost the plot of this thread.

What I mean is: if I drop the main key into a Scottish loch, I can dig out the spare (unclipped) key and get the spare (plastic) key from its secure location in the glove box and use it to start the bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Got ya.  You just don't want to take you 2 chipped keys with you.  I always kept my plastic one buried in an inside jacket pocket.  Leaving it on the bike even in a locker might have insurance implications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk