ABS Warning Light on my 2008 RT SE

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
surferseagull

ABS Warning Light on my 2008 RT SE

Post by surferseagull »

Hi

I googled this fault and a few things came back that the ABS can be RESET. I cant find out how to do this on my 2008.

Would anyone have a view if this is worth a go as the dealer when I rang said I will be up for a new ABS board!!
Was a mention of don't start the bike with brakes on as this can wreck the ABS ( I did this as I started on a hill - what else can you do)
I would like tot ry & reset the ABS  Warning fault  BEFORE going to a replace the ABS board!

How does one do it for the 2008?

thanks Geoff
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: ABS Warning Light on my 2008 RT SE

Post by David. »

Have you seen this thread on BMWLT, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/3 ... ilure.html,
it doesn't mention resetting the ABS but gives some possible causes of why the ABS light might be on.

When does the ABS Warning Light illuminate,
a) it happens before you start the engine,
b) it fails when you start the engine,
c) it fails when you ride away.

Is the ABS Light flashing or staying on.

A thread from BMWSportTouring, http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... 075&page=1,
"Is there a way to reset the ABS system?-- Not really, you can try disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes but that is about it."
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Bit rich for a dealer to tell you it's the main ABS unit without seeing the bike.  Might be no more than one or the sensors or its cable.  Ring another dealer .
bieffe
Bike Model and Year: bmw 1200 rt 2007
Been liked: 1 time
Slovenia

Post by bieffe »

surferseagull wrote: Hi

I googled this fault and a few things came back that the ABS can be RESET. I cant find out how to do this on my 2008.

Would anyone have a view if this is worth a go as the dealer when I rang said I will be up for a new ABS board!!
Was a mention of don't start the bike with brakes on as this can wreck the ABS ( I did this as I started on a hill - what else can you do)
I would like tot ry & reset the ABS  Warning fault  BEFORE going to a replace the ABS board!

How does one do it for the 2008?

thanks Geoff
I had similar problem, needed to fix the ABS module, now 1000 km OK.