A first world problem...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

A first world problem...

Post by richardbd »

Mrs BD says I'm allowed a second bike.  It will be the first time I've ever owned two bikes at the same time.  Before she caved in, I was getting ready to trade the RT for more of an all-rounder - maybe even (god forbid) a GS.

Now I plan to keep it, so I want something that's everything the RT isn't but I also want it to be true the other way round - I want the RT to be everything the new bike isn't.

Have had lots of ideas but my best so far is...

Actually, I'm not going to tell you because I want to see what ideas emerge.

Answers on a postcard please...
Cleverbee

Re: A first world problem...

Post by Cleverbee »

Riccardo, on my first service the dealers provided me with an R1200R.
Naked, yes.  100 plus, it tests your forearm strength, but shorter length and lack of weight made it turn crisply on a dime.  Only criticism would be need for a rucksack or tankbag, oh yes, not forgetting, riding at night, the headlamp reflects up behind the G-string sized windshield wrecking your night vision.
If I could afford a second bike, it would be something naked !
Not something I'd ride every day, but basically raw  ^-^
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So you want something with no weather protection, no gizmos and ideally uncomfortable.  Stick With the same brand and dealer to put you in their hero category and get either a NineT and be (cool) or an S1000RR and be mad.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I never wanted or needed a second bike until I tried riding around the North Circular Road in the rush hour between Enfield and Brentford.  I discovered the only two things that the RT isn't - light and manoeverable. 

Solved with a Honda SH300 scooter, which is incredibly capable. As standard it has linked braking and ABS and 65 mph cruising speed. I have added top box, soft luggage, adjustable screen, Sat Nav, intercom, and DAB radio.

I have been considering a third machine, but I am truly struggling to find something that cannot be covered by these two for back road pottering. In my list would be a Triumph Bonneville, Guzzi Breva, Yamaha MT09, Honda CB500, Kawasaki ER6, Yamaha MT01.

John Bentall
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

If you are looking for second fun or commuter bike and want a naked as something different from an RT, unless you have very deep pockets I think the BMW boxer nakeds R9T or R1200R are very expensive new for what they are though I don't doubt they are excellent bikes.

Two nakeds I've had in recent years which are a lot cheaper than BM boxers, comparing new prices, are a Moto Guzzi V7 and a Triumph Bonneville. Both excellent bikes for around the same price. The V7 now comes in an improved Mk2 version with ABS etc. which I have owned. It's light and nippy and is an enjoyable ride, with that unique air cooled Guzzi character and shaft drive and they look great in my opinion. The Bonnie is a competitor for the Guzzi though a lot heavier, chain drive, but also very enjoyable, and it comes in many variants. They're just coming out with a new water cooled version.

Of these two I prefer the Guzzi but that's just a personal thing. Guzzi is also just about to introduce the new V9, which is like a bigger version of the V7, comes in two variants, and looks pretty attractive I think though I've only seen pictures.

Nakeds have become fashionable again for some reason so all the Japanese makes have a range of them in various engine sizes etc.

Apart from all that I'd also suggest the scooter option, depending on what you want the second bike for. Personally I'd probably go for a Vespa 300 GTS but there is a vast range out there. Big wheel jobs look naff but have certain advantages in handling I'd say, from experience. But if cool matters to you, then it has to be a Vespa.
Last edited by guest2826 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Money no object I would go for a Ducati 959 Panigale, which it certainly everything your RT isn't  ;)
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

beemerboy9 wrote: Honda SH300 scooter

I had one of those as a stable mate to my FJR for the 10 mile commute to inner London. The FJR hated it and the heat that use to come off it would cook a sunday lunch in no time!!

Cracking scooter that was very nippy use to upset the bigger bikes with it at the lights :D
ggoldfogel

Post by ggoldfogel »

My commuter bike is a Honda NC 700 and I love it. Large "frunk" holds full size helmet, low center of gravity makes for superb handling, bike is very inexpensive and totally reliable. And I'm averaging 68mpg on low octane regular fuel.
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

UKDucatiman wrote: Money no object I would go for a Ducati 959 Panigale, which it certainly everything your RT isn't  ;)

I could not afford the laundry bills!
John Bentall
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

All depends on how many spare beer tokens you have to spend, I didn't have many
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I once owned a 1978 R65.  Little bikini fairing especially designed to get every drop of rain up your arms, a side stand that sprung up if you just looked at it and had a cruising speed down hill of about 65.  It was lovely, cost nothing to run as BMW insurance added to my RT insurance for £10. I still regret selling it when she said "you don't need two bike"
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

So,  I do a lot of all-day and/or weekend rides with a group of mates.  We do 99% road stuff but quite a bit of it is little, twisty and often almost green lanes. Most of the guys ride GSs or Multistradas or Tigers.  Before the RT I had a Multistrada and before that a Guzzi Stelvio.

I'll happily do all the roads we follow on the RT but sometimes it's a bit touch and go - you know, the kind of lanes where you have a choice; either the panniers touch the hedge or the front wheel's in the mud in the centre!

I was thinking about getting an adventure-style bike.  I can't really justify the RT and a GS, so was thinking of something smaller - something like a KTM 1050.

Trouble is, I worry it will be too much of a compromise and I'll just wish I'd gone for an 1190 or even 1290, and I don't want to spend that much.

So, I like the naked idea.

KTM 690 Duke maybe??

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And I thought you would be hunting for my old 65.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: And I thought you would be hunting for my old 65.

The boys would leave me too far behind!

Have ridden R75/5 though - with Albion Motorcycles on Mallorca.  Great fun...
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

richardbd wrote: So, I do a lot of all-day and/or weekend rides with a group of mates. We do 99% road stuff but quite a bit of it is little, twisty and often almost green lanes. Most of the guys ride GSs or Multistradas or Tigers.
There is so little difference in the touring capabilities of the GS and RT, that I have to ask why you didn't go for a GS. Did you hate the test ride on the GS?

What are you doing riding around with the panniers on? I have a top-box on mine apart from holidays. Anyway, I can't get my bike in the garage with the panniers on.

If I had your particular problem, I would look for a cheap BMW F650GS twin or an 1150GS. You should be able to keep up your mates unless they ride at insane speeds - in which case you need to find some new mates.

John Bentall