Engine cut out at low or idle speed

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Adie Lewis

Engine cut out at low or idle speed

Post by Adie Lewis »

Hi chaps
new to Forum but it looks like a nice place!!
I have a 2005 RT [ bought about 5 months back] very nice condition and I'm  pleased with it. BUT [ there's always a BUT].. very occasionally , and now with increasing frequency,  the engine just stops after a good run [ie totally warmed up and run for at least an hour at a good speed] NO warning lights on display, just stops. Flame out. restarts straight away but not a good situation to be in, especially in traffic/ roundabouts etc
can't believe bike is major failure as rode it to Germany in May with only ONE incident on way to Dover but no repetition in the next 1200 miles. But now it's suddenly getting more frequent.
I have read on other sites that it could be something to do with servo motors or actuators or something.. but is very hard to diagnose even with BMW diagnostic kit. haven't done anything about it yet but it's gonna need sorting.. but I'm reluctant to take it straight to BMW without some prior advice
Any ideas anyone?
rglassma

Re: Engine cut out at low or idle speed

Post by rglassma »

Just a shot in the dark.  Have you tried disconnecting the battery, reconnecting the battery and then doing the computer reset by turning on the ignition (not starting), twisting the throttle all the way three times.  Then shuting off the ignition and then on again.

I have had a situation where my idle was up and down continually and performed that procedure and the bike ran normally again.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

rglassma wrote: Just a shot in the dark. Have you tried disconnecting the battery, reconnecting the battery and then doing the computer reset by turning on the ignition (not starting),twisting the throttle all the way three times. Then shuting off the ignition and then on again.
I have had a situation where my idle was up and down continually and performed that procedure and the bike ran normally again.
That's a new one.  I would look carefully at its service history which should show one within the last 12 months/6000 miles.  A quick plug in at a proper dealer will cost you next to nothing and could save you a lot if gruel if the fault is left. 
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

I have a 2005 and it worked on mine more then once. 
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

I experienced the warm cut out issue on my 2013. I used the manual reset of the idle actuators as mentioned above. I also put a new air filter in. The problem went away but which one of these actions (or both) was the cure, I don't know. I now do it between services occasionally just in case. YVMV
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
Adie Lewis

Post by Adie Lewis »

Thanks again for all advice; have reset the computer[?] as described..nothing to report yet as haven't ridden it since but will update progress for general interest purposes
timoty

Post by timoty »

Hi guys,

I experienced similar problem. Software update made by local dealer seemed to cure the problem. Engine didn't stall after update once.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

rglassma wrote:Have you tried disconnecting the battery, reconnecting the battery and then doing the computer reset by turning on the ignition (not starting),twisting the throttle all the way three times.
Then shutting off the ignition and then on again.
This action is not unknown, it is actually recommended in the Haynes Manual if disconnecting the Battery which deletes all memorised settings (e.g. throttle position sensor).
Loss of this information could temporarily upset the running of the engine.

A BMW Dealer trained Independent which I have used always did it as part of the Service, some Dealers may not bother to do it.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blood Biker

Post by Blood Biker »

Adie Lewis wrote: Hi chaps
new to Forum but it looks like a nice place!!
I have a 2005 RT [ bought about 5 months back] very nice condition and I'm  pleased with it. BUT [ there's always a BUT].. very occasionally , and now with increasing frequency,  the engine just stops after a good run [ie totally warmed up and run for at least an hour at a good speed] NO warning lights on display, just stops. Flame out. restarts straight away but not a good situation to be in, especially in traffic/ roundabouts etc
can't believe bike is major failure as rode it to Germany in May with only ONE incident on way to Dover but no repetition in the next 1200 miles. But now it's suddenly getting more frequent.
I have read on other sites that it could be something to do with servo motors or actuators or something.. but is very hard to diagnose even with BMW diagnostic kit. haven't done anything about it yet but it's gonna need sorting.. but I'm reluctant to take it straight to BMW without some prior advice
Any ideas anyone?

We had the same problem it turned out to be the Throttle valve switch Part No 4, as soon as that was changed bike is perfect now, hope this helps.

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_cat ... at=13_1116
Attachments
Pod.JPG
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Sounds a bit like the computer universal solution of switch it off and switch it on again, the BMW dealer will call that a software upgrade !