Working on a active break-light for the top box

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
STeinar

Working on a active break-light for the top box

Post by STeinar »

Using a small PIC cpu and a accelerometer chip + some other small components - I’m working on a prototype of a break light modulator for the break light on the top box.

If you are only breaking light - there is no light in the upper light.

Breaking somewhat (Adjustable) - moderate blinking
Breaking hard (Adjustable) - Flashing the lights
When coming fully stop - the upper light is switching off.

Also thinking about making it so that id you break hard - into full stop - the upper light will continue blink/flash (or something)  as long as you stand still - and shuts off when accelerating again.

Someone interested in joining this project ?

Someone interesting in baying one - when/if ready - and what could a useful price be ?

small unit holding 3 wires + programming wire - to adjust the software limits inside the unit.

STeinar
guest2360

Re: Working on a active break-light for the top box

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure such a thing would be legal in the UK.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

RTman10 wrote: Not sure such a thing would be legal in the UK.
Well : http://www.bmw-motorrad.no/com/en/techn ... light.html

Seems it is or will be ?

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

d

There you go then.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

RTman10 wrote: d
There you go then.
Only problem is that BMW is not going to make this available for the 2014-16 RT - therefor my little project  ^-^
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: Not sure such a thing would be legal in the UK.
Like many things it no longer comes under UK law but European law which we are supposed to abide by  ;)

Some BMW cars have had the feature for a few years now.
BMW’s system flashes its light at a rate of 5hz when the brakes come on hard at speeds over 50km/h (31mph) and goes on to automatically put the hazard lights on if the hard braking continues below 14km/h (9mph). Which matches just what the EU demands.
The key document is E/ECE/324 E/ECE/TRANS/505, Addendum 47, Regulation No. 48, Revision 6, dated June 2010.
Of course.
It’s entitled ‘Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices’ and, deep within its bowels, is contained the following definition:
2.28. "Emergency stop signal" means a signal to indicate to other road users to the rear of the vehicle that a high retardation force has been applied to the vehicle relative to the prevailing road conditions.
The document goes on to explain that it must be amber or red and that it must be a flashing light, and the automatic application of the hazard lights after an emergency stop is also described.
Further investigation reveals that details for the systems are laid out as follows.
6.23. EMERGENCY STOP SIGNAL
6.23.1. Presence
Optional
The emergency stop signal shall be given by the simultaneous operation of all the stop or direction-indicator lamps fitted as described in paragraph 6.22.7.
[followed by details as to the position and number of the lights]
6.23.7.1. All the lamps of the emergency stop signal shall flash in phase at a frequency of 4.0 ± 1.0 Hz.
6.23.7.1.1. However, if any of the lamps of the emergency stop signal to the rear of the vehicle use filament light sources the frequency shall be 4.0 +0.0/-1.0 Hz.
6.23.7.2. The emergency stop signal shall operate independently of other lamps.
6.23.7.3. The emergency stop signal shall be activated and deactivated automatically.
6.23.7.3.1. The emergency stop signal shall be activated only when the vehicle speed is above 50 km/h and the braking system is providing the emergency braking logic signal defined in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H.
6.23.7.3.2. The emergency stop signal shall be automatically deactivated if the emergency braking logic signal as defined in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H is no longer provided or if the hazard warning signal is activated.
The Standard

Post by The Standard »

I'm interested, I'm already looking at installing the http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/ST_Features.shtml units
Can't see an issue with British Law, I have spoken to our Local Police and they are happy as long as I have a fully functioning Breaklight as well
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

One issue I have is that after looking into the two signal-buses used on the bike - the easy one - I-Bus holds only communication for the radio and GPS units.
To find the actual speed - I need to tap into the CAN-Bus, and that needs more cpu parts and programming.

Therefor I’m using an accelerometer chip, that is giving me information on how hard you are braking or accelerating.

Breaking somewhat (Adjustable) - moderate blinking  - 4Hz
Breaking hard (Adjustable)          - Flashing (strobing) the lights (Not legal after the spec, but anyway)
When coming to full stop            - the light is switching off.

When breaking hard - into full stop - light will continue blinking 4Hz  as long as you stand still - and shuts off when accelerating again.

Connecting the unit - is done by cutting the break light cable - going to the extra top box break light, and direct these
two cables to unit, and then one ground cable from the unit to bike ground.

In additional - there is two programming cables coming from the unit.
One for setting “moderate breaking” threshold , and one for the “hard braking” threshold.

To program the unit  (If not satisfied with the default)  - take the bike for a spin -
and break what you consider to be “moderate” - and connect the programming wire to ground for a moment when doing so.
and break what you consider to be “hard” - and connect the other programming wire to ground for a moment when doing so.

My prototype has a led diode on it - to simulate the break light, and two small press to connect switches - to mimic the programming cables.

Using the car (As there is -20c and 40cm of snow at the moment) - I’m able to see how it’s working

The programming thing could be difficult to do, if you don’t have a pillion rider doing it for your, so will look into other possibilities ;-)

mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I might have been interested if I had not just wired in and led tail light / brake light. Not up to redoing all that.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Take a look at the VOLO license plate frame. http://www.vololights.com. It won't work for the top box, but it does have the circuitry you seek.
I had the dealer put one on my new 2016 RT before it ever left the shop.  I commute daily, mostly 6 lane highway and I must say it keeps following vehicles off my tail.
I guess if you really want to apply the circuitry to a top box, you may want to disassemble a VOLO and repackage the components. Just pay attention to the orientation of the accelerometers.
Oh the places we will go
aweight

Post by aweight »

Hello Everyone, you can buy a fully programmable brake light modulator that's plug and play for the RT.

See http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake-2bmw/

I have this unit on my RT, programmable using the brake level, really great bit of kit and good service from these guys.

Has made a real difference in terms of conspicuity

I'd recommend it, 5 mins to install under the passenger seat, comes with bike specific connectors, can be set to non active to MOT's if needed

Andy
R1200RT LE San Marino Blue
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

aweight wrote: Hello Everyone, you can buy a fully programmable brake light modulator that's plug and play for the RT.

See http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake-2bmw/

I have this unit on my RT, programmable using the brake level, really great bit of kit and good service from these guys.

Has made a real difference in terms of conspicuity

I'd recommend it, 5 mins to install under the passenger seat, comes with bike specific connectors, can be set to non active to MOT's if needed

Andy
Thanks Andy for posting this, I hadn't seen it before & a reasonable price.