Key fob marking headstock...

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Key fob marking headstock...

Post by richardbd »

Anybody else having the problem that the alarm/locking fob is marking the headstock on the RTLC?

More importantly, anybody found a solution?

I tried a lanyard, with the alarm round my neck but it just annoyed the hell out of me.  Strikes me as a bit of a design fault...

:shirty: :shirty: :shirty:
guest2360

Re: Key fob marking headstock...

Post by guest2360 »

You need a key case that the fod will fit in.  BMW do one in a leather (type) material. Solves the problem and gives a bit of protection from the elements for the fod.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

richardbd wrote: Anybody else having the problem that the alarm/locking fob is marking the headstock on the RTLC?
Mine is also doing this, I looked to see if anyone did carbon fibre for this area but could only find it for pre LC
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The solution, no bits of sticky plastic needed.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Benchmark wrote: Mine is also doing this, I looked to see if anyone did carbon fibre for this area but could only find it for pre LC

ditto
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you let the fod bounce around with no protection it won't be too long before a few scuffs will not be your only problem. 
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Hornig do a carbon fibre cover for the RTLC. Got one on mine. Quite good looking but fiddly to get it to fit around the barrell
R1250RT LE
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Personally the first thing I do when I get the bike with two sets of keys is remove the dealer fob and just use the key on its own!  Remote/alarm fob always sits in my jacket pocket...  Simple but effective...  Peter
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Peter Baker wrote: Personally the first thing I do when I get the bike with two sets of keys is remove the dealer fob and just use the key on its own!  Remote/alarm fob always sits in my jacket pocket...  Simple but effective...  Peter

Probably not a bad idea - but I've never come across the problem before.  Either BMW fobs are tougher than anybody else's - or the top yokes are softer...
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

daverj wrote: Hornig do a carbon fibre cover for the RTLC. Got one on mine. Quite good looking but fiddly to get it to fit around the barrell

Good spot Dave - Hadn't found that one because they call it "dash pad", not a top yoke protector like everybody else.

Ordered from Horning.

Happy days...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your slipping.  It'll be rubber knee protectors for the tank next.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Your slipping.  It'll be rubber knee protectors for the tank next.

No chance!  You know attitude to fancy adornments.  I don't really like the top yoke cover - it's that dodgy, fake carbon look - but it's probably better than the scratches I've got now...

:nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
JayBees7

Post by JayBees7 »

This problem affects us all, my solution involves some Black ( colour doesn't really matter ) insulating tape cut into small strips and carefully laid around the key hole.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote: The solution, no bits of sticky plastic needed.
+1, but I had to compromise with a GS logoed zip-up case instead of anything RTesque!! Anyway, £10 and sorted. :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This problem affects us all

Not me.  If you protect whatever you have hanging on the ignition key sticky tape is not necessary.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri May 13, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.