Brake failure warning light

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Highlandbear

Brake failure warning light

Post by Highlandbear »

Morning all Dug out the trusty steed from its winter hibernation all checks etc etc done , wife and I set off yesterday over to west coast through Glencoe down to Oban onwards to Lochgilphead back through Stirling stopped of at friends in Dunfermiline then north back to Perth
Anyway enough of what we did ,bike performed as expected until later in the day when brake failure light and warning triangle came on Arghh!!!!!! brakes were still working only 15 mins from friends so got there with no issues , had dinner etc came out after about 3 hours fired it up and all well again
Solution ??????
Also first time had it out in the dark , full beam looking for aeroplanes , I believe there is an adjustment ?
Dave F
guest2360

Re: Brake failure warning light

Post by guest2360 »

If you have a handbook it shows you the adjustment knob for the headlight.  It can be set for solo or two up but it's normally too high.  There is a sort of plastic nut incorporated into it but this normally needs a spanner to turn it for more adjustment. Whole thing is white and situated on the back of the headlight. 
Brake light warning can be caused by low voltage.  If you can still hear the servo and there is no loss of braking efficiency I wouldn't  worry too much.  It's very obvious on the servo brakes if they fail as you end up with something BMW call residual braking which is not a lot.
Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

Morning Thanks for info yes did check servo was/is working brakes were all good , new battery fitted back end of las year but will check charging, will have a look for adjustment, need to get that sorted will be off with 2 up fully loaded in April then again into Europe in August
Dave F
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Headlight beam-throw adjustment

Moving the pivot lever adjusts headlight beam throw so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

Position for heavy load

Normal position
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Highlandbear wrote:Also first time had it out in the dark , full beam looking for aeroplanes.
Is the rear spring preload set to suit the load carried by the motorcycle.
Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

Thanks for the pictures and yes all set up correctly
Dave F
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This thread from BMWLT, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/6 ... tment.html, has links to pages from the Rider's Manual & Adjusting Headlight pdf.

I seem to remember on my 2007 RT, having to run it with the pivot (white)lever in the heavy load position.

Didn't make any adjustments to either the height of the beam throw or lateral throw screws.
(This checking of headlight beam throw is part of an MOT Test.)
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.