2016 RT - First Week Impressions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
dlb56

2016 RT - First Week Impressions

Post by dlb56 »

Picked up my RT last week and thought I would post my impressions after putting 600 miles on it.

As background, I've ridden three and four cylinder bikes for years. This is my first twin and first BMW.

What I love - the handling is fantastic! Biggest bike I've owned, but the best handling by far. The thing just feels planted to the road when zipping through the twisties. It's by far the most comfortable bike I've ridden, and love the shift assist, the Nav unit, and the hill assist, though, I don't use the hill assist for its intended purpose. It's great for sitting at long lights waiting for the light to change. Also enamored with the cruise control. Looking forward to some longer rides to put it to use. Lastly, love the brakes!

What's okay - the wind protection is far better than on anything else I've ridden, but not as good as I'd like. I have ordered a Werks Quiet Ride and look forward to trying it out.

Everything else - is it just me, or is the sound of the engine that much different than other bikes? I'm hard of hearing to begin with, but the engine (not the exhaust) reminds me of a sewing machine at times. That and what feels like buffeting or hesitation while cruising would be my only "issues" with bike, and issue is probably too strong a word to use because I'm very happy with the bike.

That's it! Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and have no buyers remorse. I look forward to putting many, many miles on the bike in the coming years.

Last edited by dlb56 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: 2016 RT - First Week Impressions

Post by guest2360 »

You obviously regret the purchase of your first BMW. The main problem with all of them is its very difficult to revert to anything else but who cares.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I have a 2005 rt with 13000 miles,but I love it . Always been a Honda man myself ,but I test rode a pan  European st1300 after a rt and it was to heavy,handling was bad and the wife preferred the rt for comfort .so that was it.job done.
dlb56

Post by dlb56 »

No regrets at all. I don't know that you could find a bike that rides, handles and performs as well, it's more my getting accustomed to a new bike and platform.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Took me a1200gs and a1600gt to hit the sweet spot, no complaints about new RT other than a windshield that dumps rain in your face. Werks quite ride fixed that. Two of my riding buddies were so impressed with the bike they bought them, one from a 2006 RT and the other a Harley
Enjoy the ride
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

dlb56 wrote: Picked up my RT last week and thought I would post my impressions after putting 600 miles on it.

As background, I've ridden three and four cylinder bikes for years. This is my first twin and first BMW.

What I love - the handling is fantastic! Biggest bike I've owned, but the best handling by far. The thing just feels planted to the road when zipping through the twisties. It's by far the most comfortable bike I've ridden, and love the shift assist, the Nav unit, and the hill assist, though, I don't use the hill assist for its intended purpose. It's great for sitting at long lights waiting for the light to change. Also enamored with the cruise control. Looking forward to some longer rides to put it to use. Lastly, love the brakes!

What's okay - the wind protection is far better than on anything else I've ridden, but not as good as I'd like. I have ordered a Werks Quiet Ride and look forward to trying it out.

Everything else - is it just me, or is the sound of the engine that much different than other bikes? I'm hard of hearing to begin with, but the engine (not the exhaust) reminds me of a sewing machine at times. That and what feels like buffeting or hesitation while cruising would be my only "issues" with bike, and issue is probably too strong a word to use because I'm very happy with the bike.

That's it! Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and have no buyers remorse. I look forward to putting many, many miles on the bike in the coming years.

OK - now I'm going to upset the collective...

All BMW boxers sound like sewing machines - and they always have.  There is the odd exception but that's the one that sounds like a bag of spanners falling down the stairs.

Some people don't mind and others hate it.

You can take some consolation from the fact that they sound much worse when you're riding them than they do when you hear them go by - then you get a much more throaty/roarty noise.

If that's not enough, ( and it isn't for me - I HATE the sound of the average boxer) all is still not lost.

CHANGE THE END CAN.

I put the OEM Akra can on my 2014 RTLC and it completely changed my relationship with the bike.  Before the Akra, I respected the bike.  Now I LOVE it...

>:D :ninja: >:D :ninja: >:D

dlb56

Post by dlb56 »

You may have just cost me a grand or so for a new pipe! It's all good, though.  There's an MOA ride in the area tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get a chance to hear an Akrapovic can on one of the bikes.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I had an Akra on my last RT.  Great sound, high quality build but never noticed any difference in performance.  As I sold it on for not much less than it costs I was happy. Then after 3 years listening to the howl of a 1600 decided nothing could replace that so  this ones staying stock.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

Purchase a new tinted windshield from Werk's. It has the flip up at the top and rounded and not dipped like stock. It made my 2016 RT a totally different riding bike as far as wind and radio sound. Well worth the money for a 10 minute swap out.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I had an Akra on my last RT.  Great sound, high quality build but never noticed any difference in performance.  As I sold it on for not much less than it costs I was happy. Then after 3 years listening to the howl of a 1600 decided nothing could replace that so  this ones staying stock.

Agree - doesn't make any difference to performance but I don't think they claim it does.

Also agree about the 1600 sound...
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

On my 1600gt was able to punch out the holes in upper and lower outlets, improved sound. Winding if any simple fix for new RT?
Jim
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Sorry
"Wondering"
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No. No such option
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

If you fit the Akra, you can take the baffle out.  Mine came like that - but it just made my head hurt and made me feel silly making so much noise, so I put it back in and now I think the sound is just great...

8) :ninja: :swat: :vader:

Pope

Post by Pope »

richardbd wrote: If you fit the Akra, you can take the baffle out.  Mine came like that - but it just made my head hurt and made me feel silly making so much noise, so I put it back in and now I think the sound is just great...

8) :ninja: :swat: :vader:

Yes, same here. but it was my missus that made me put the DB killer back in my Akra.
I love the sound, but it does get a bit droney on the Motorway though..
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline