RAM-A / TomTom compatibility

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Simon

RAM-A / TomTom compatibility

Post by Simon »

Hi,

Does anyone know if the RAM-A ball fittings are compatible with TomTom's EasyPort ball and socket system?

I am looking to use a TomTom Via 135 on my bike, but want it securely mounted using RAM fittings, as the TomTom sucker clamp is ineffective.

Simon

2010 R1200RT SE - The Silver Machine
guest2360

Re: RAM-A / TomTom compatibility

Post by guest2360 »

Don't know much about TomTom but.  It seems to be designed for car use.  Bolt it to an RT and it will have a very short life due to vibration and of course the first spot of rain that hits it.  Might survive a bit longer in a tank bag pocket but definitely not on a ram mount I would have thought.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Post by Simon »

As Dogbreath has had no problems using a TomTom, (who make a bike-specific model),I'm happy to give it a try;

Dogbreath wrote:I've always used my car portable sat nav for the bikes I've owned over the years. For about £150 you can have a Tom Tom,  free lifetime map updates, waterproof case, ram mounts and lead.It can be used for car and bike and routes can be done on PC before setting off.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Simon wrote: As Dogbreath has had no problems using a TomTom, (who make a bike-specific model),I'm happy to give it a try;

Hi Simon,
Yes, I used a RAM mount with a TomTom Rider satnav on my previous bike (K13GT). Absolutely fine mounting and the satnav was waterproof as well. Out of interest, what's specific about a RAM-A mount?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A TomTom Rider, no problem made for bikes and weatherproof. but one sold to sit on the dash of a car is a totally different gadget.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Steve,

The RAM-A series use a 1/2" ball and socket, the B series use a 1", etc.  Hence, the A series would seem to be the same size as TomTom's ball and socket fitting, meaning that the satnav could be directly connected to a RAM mounting

RAM don'make a cradle for the Via series, so direct connection might be an option, as well as being more secure, provided they are compatible; hence my question.

I know RTman10 has his doubts, but as it's a spare satnav I'm happy to give it a go and see how well it works.

Simon
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the clarification. The EuroKclub bike forum may prove to be a useful source of info, especially a forum member Rae (raesewell) who appears to be well informed with many things TomTom!
Last edited by Steve F on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the EuroKclub suggestion.  One of their forum threads mentions Ridermount, who do foam filled waterproof cases with a shade peak for mounting a car satnav on a bike.  (Should eliminate / significantly reduce vibration, as identified by RTman10).  They fit RAM-B mounts, so seem ideal.

Simon
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hi Simon,
Glad to hear that forum had info that will hopefully prove fruitful! Good luck.

Steve.