The eagle has landed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
falconmick

The eagle has landed

Post by falconmick »

Picked up my 'new'2012 R1200RT SE this morn, first impression, need to adjust gear lever position, too close for me lol. Heated seat & grips, roasting even on low setting :). Cruise control very good, gearbox excellent, even with some accidental clutchless changes (owing to gear lever being too close to footpeg for me). Stalled it twice, ned to get used to giving it a bit more compared to my FJR. So far so good.Quick cuppa tea , adjust gear lever then out for a blast :)
Masq85

Re: The eagle has landed

Post by Masq85 »

Picke mine up last Monday, just took it for a long ride with the Mrs on a lovely sunny day.  My notes: Nav 5 has some serious issues - it kept locking up and basically didn't work (although this may have something to do with the fact that I tried updating the maps without enough memory).  I was a bit dubious about the Gearshift Pro but after reading some of the posts i've realised today that it works fine - you just need to use it under reasonable acceleration/deceleration and perhaps avoid 1st to 2nd gear shifts.  Got to grips with the Hill Start - brilliant -  and seems to work on the flat as well.  Also having cruise control for the 1st time on a bike is great - nothing like being able to flex your right hand when tired.  Might need to get some lower pegs or raise the (already higher) seat as my ankles are aching a bit - downside to having long legs.  Overall this is the bike i've been waiting for after 30 years of biking - one of the benefits of growing older (and wealthier!!).
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nav V has no issues for most of us. Shove a micro SD card in it, you will need it for music anyway and them reload it again.  I assume you used Garmin Express.  If it still locks up take it back and get them to swap it.  Your right about Pro shift.  Forget 1st and 2nd.  I find as long as its pulling it will change up and vise versa, no violence needed. Hill start just as useful up down or on the flat. 
Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

Micro SD arrived today.  Re-installed/updated maps.  Seems to be much happier now.  BMW would get a lot more kudos if they supplied a 32Gb micro SD card with the Nav 5 - they'e so cheap these days.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Good. The next trick is to overtake cars with the drivers window open and change up at least 3 times while in line with the window. I'm told it sounds very impressive and probably gets a mention by the IAM. I of course have never tried this, just heard about.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

Challenge accepted . . . . . but I think I'd better finish running it in first !!