First impression

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
UKDucatiman

First impression

Post by UKDucatiman »

After having the bike sat in my garage since it was delivered back in November I finally got to ride my 2006 RT. I could not have picked a better weekend as the weather has been great. On Friday I visited the excellent MotoScott where the bike received a full service plus new pads & a set of Michelin pilot road 4 GT tyres. Since then I've spent the last couple of days putting approximately 250 miles on the bike in a variety of situations taking in; Motorways, A & B roads, including a great twisty section on route to Burnham on the Crotch.

So sitting here in a reflective mood I thought I would jot down my thoughts about the bike:

Engine (7/10)
Whilst lacking a bit in terms of acceleration it provided a nice balance of power throughout the rev range. Some vibration (right hand grip) crept in after about an hour but nothing too much. My only negative being a perceived hesitation at around 4k rpm, which related to abut 80mph in 6th gear. It felt like the bike was hunting ever so slightly. If I pushed on it seemed to clear completely at around 85mph. Nothing bad, just noted item.

Handling and brakes (9/10)
I was really surprised about how well the bike handled, looking at it parked-up you would never think it could be so good, especially in the ‘twisties’. Probably helped by the excellent pilot 4 tyres (once scrubbed in) I was smiling to myself as I engine braked leading into the corners before flicking the bike on its side and powering out the other side. It also proved very stable on the motorway sections. I never really noticed the brakes, which is a compliment.

Ride quality (8/10)
Good in most areas apart from one. The amount of noise coming back into my crash helmet when going any faster than 55mph was a surprise. I tried the screen height at every position but unless it was at the maximum which meant I was looking through the screen or just over which meant the leading edge was in my line of vision it was a problem. So any satnav updates were lost and if I’d had a pillion communication would have been impossible. 

In summary a most impressive machine which pretty much can tackle anything. I just need to seek some advice on how to address the noise issue......
guest2360

Re: First impression

Post by guest2360 »

I assume you are talking about wind noise.  There are various aftermarket screens for your model, some as big as a barn door.  I would suggest that if you have another helmet try that first.  The screen can also have quite an effect on mpg as well.  I remember being on a 1200 mile tour with another identical RT to mine.  both 2 up fully loaded.  Every time we filled up his bill was about £5 more than mine.  The only difference e could see was he always had his screen all the way up.  We tried 150 miles with both screens about the same.  On refuel both bikes took the same.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: I assume you are talking about wind noise.  There are various aftermarket screens for your model, some as big as a barn door.  I would suggest that if you have another helmet try that first.  The screen can also have quite an effect on mpg as well.  I remember being on a 1200 mile tour with another identical RT to mine.  both 2 up fully loaded.  Every time we filled up his bill was about £5 more than mine.  The only difference e could see was he always had his screen all the way up.  We tried 150 miles with both screens about the same.  On refuel both bikes took the same.

Yes, wind noise. I was wearing a brand new Shoei GT Air lid and some pin lock acoustic ear plus, which are meant to cancel out wind noise!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have a set of the pinlock ear plugs and they work pretty well. Have used them both on my Harley and my RT. i wear a Shoei Neotec, which is quite noisy.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Definately try another helmet and ordinary foam ear plugs.  At least you will know where to go next if the noise is different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

The excessive noise was down to me not having my 'new' helmets visor in its fully down 'locked' position, doh  :-\  After putting another 200 miles on the bike I'm finding the action of the gearbox a bit 'syrupy' and not always wanting to go into first from standstill. The clutch is also rather 'clunky' especially during low speed maneuvers. Are these features of the early models or could there be more to it.......
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

UKDucatiman wrote: The excessive noise was down to me not having my 'new' helmets visor in its fully down 'locked' position, doh  :-\  After putting another 200 miles on the bike I'm finding the action of the gearbox a bit 'syrupy' and not always wanting to go into first from standstill. The clutch is also rather 'clunky' especially during low speed maneuvers. Are these features of the early models or could there be more to it.......

If I have read your post correctly you have a 06 RT with a dry clutch. There is a trick with the dry clutch bikes to snick it into first at standstill. When I had my GS I found if it doesn't want to go into first then pull clutch fully in, apply downward pressure on gear lever and slowly release clutch until it snicks into gear. I found this used to work a treat. I now have a LC bike with wet clutch that just crashes into first. Hope this trick works for you.
Tango

Post by Tango »

[size=2px]Don't wait until the clutch is fully in and then select first gear, [/size]drop it into first while pulling the clutch in, according to local guru it's quite normal, caught me out a few times at traffic lights.

And yes the gear box can be a bit clunky and woolly.

Marty

UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Thanks for the advice. Good to know it's a feature not a fault  8)
UKDucatiman

Re: First impression - cruise control

Post by UKDucatiman »

I've never had cruise control on a bike before and felt a bit nervous of using it, only in that something else rather than my right hand would have control of the throttle. Going round the M25 yesterday I took the plunge! Wow, it really is so cool, easy & intuitive to use. Just being able to give the right wrist a stretch is a real bonus. After trying the various options to switch-off I found a slight dap of the rear brake worked best for me. On the trip to the Italian lakes cruise control will most definitely be in constant use.
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Sun May 01, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's what I do, quick tap in the foot brake takes it off.  Could never get the reset to work for a long time though. Should have read the instructions. 
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: That's what I do, quick tap in the foot brake takes it off.  Could never get the reset to work for a long time though. Should have read the instructions.

I know what you mean, took me couple of goes to get the resume working and slightly unnerving at first as the bike takes over the throttle, especially if you are going from 30 - 70mph. But brilliant option.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I used to deactivate cruise with back brake but I find the slightest pull on the clutch works better for me with one advantage you are not showing a brake light. To get a really smooth release of cruise roll on the throttle to take up the slack first.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All they have to do now it to get it to stay in if you change gear and like my car have radar control to keep an even speed in traffic.  If Citroen can do it should be no trouble for BMW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Levisp wrote: I used to deactivate cruise with back brake but I find the slightest pull on the clutch works better for me with one advantage you are not showing a brake light. To get a really smooth release of cruise roll on the throttle to take up the slack first.

Great tip, thanks  :)