New seat - options

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
guest2368

Re: New seat - options

Post by guest2368 »

blokeonthemove wrote: I use an Airhawk as well, I sit on the standard seat before lunch the change to the Airhawk after, it's like a new bum, I imagine.
Never thought about doing that, I may give that a go!
Rollmaster

Post by Rollmaster »

sofnolime wrote: Has anyone changed out the standard riders seat out on their RTLC?
I noticed that after a 300 mile day at the weekend my backside was decidedly numb when I got off the bike.  The rest of my body was fine, no aches and pains or sore muscles....just an numb bum!
So who is using an aftermarket seat on their LC, what do you like, what do you not like, what's the pros and cons?

John

I ordered the Sargent heated seat for my 15 RTLC.  Huge improvement over my standard seat.  This is the second Sargent that I've ordered - the first was used on a 14 GS.  I would begin squirming around 80-100 miles with the stock seat.  The Sargent is so much more comfortable and I'm able to go 300 - 400 miles without any real complaints.  Very well worth the investment.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Does the Sargent seat help fix that slide to the tank when braking?
siclmn

Post by siclmn »

My seat gets squirmy after 30 miles so I will have a guy called Rich make me a new seat for about $500. He has been doing this for over 30 years so he has a good idea of how to make things better.
These other ways that people attack the problem does not make sense to me, how can a big company make you a better seat without looking at you on the bike and looking at the shape of your rear end?  Are they just selling you a cool looking seat that is supposed to fit everybody?
p400

Post by p400 »

anyone happy with the factory tall (high) seat? - 52538544792
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

The tall seat looks like there is virtually no rise to the front of the seat.  The OEM seat is bad enough about sliding into the tank, and that one would be worse.
pbsrides

Post by pbsrides »

I've had several Sargent seats including my '14 RTW and '08 GS. Very happy. Good service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
p400

Post by p400 »

These factory RT seats are all shown in the low position.
I have many miles on a stock standard seat in the higher position, but would like pegs lower or seat higher.
Has anyone purchased, put in service and been happy with the factory high seat in the higher position?
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

I have spent a fortune on aftermarket seats and miracle devices that sit on top of seats. From new to buying used on the forums. One thing that is constant, the Russell Day-long seats are by far the most comfortable for LONG RIDES. Even one that is not custom made is more comfortable than the off the shelf aftermarket and some of the "custom" seats.

I still spend a fortune, but it is going to be on the Russell seats till someone convinces me there is something better. A good seat easily triples your time in the saddle with no discomfort, isn't that worth the price? My '14 with its Russell below. Vinyl sides, leather seating surface in large rectangle pattern.

WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I really want an RDL, but the lady says they can't help me without an significant increase in seat height, which I can't afford.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looking at that I suspect you need very long legs to reach the ground as its as wide as a small sofa. Do they quote a height?
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: Looking at that I suspect you need very long legs to reach the ground as its as wide as a small sofa. Do they quote a height?

I was told they'd be adding between 1-1/2 and 2" to the OEM height to accommodate their inner spring design.
p400

Post by p400 »

I believe with the RDL, that the added seat side bolsters reduce your ability to reach the ground by 1.5-2.0 .....this is not an increase in seat height or change in rider position.
But maybe there is some minimum height on an RDL......and this RDL height is not allowing a low position
Day-Long Saddle
The Day-Long Touring Saddle is a motorcycle seating system specifically designed for driver and passenger comfort, incorporating our patented Support Suspension System. Each motorcycle seat, or Saddle, is individually made to be the perfect seat between person and machine, according to your personal physical requirements.
Your Day-Long Touring Saddle is built especially to fit your particular driver/passenger combination. We use your height, weight and inseam measurements along with photos of you and your passenger seated on your old motorcycle seat. With this information we can determine the proper size and shape of your motorcycle seat, and position it forward, rearward, or higher as needed to accommodate your size, build and posture for maximum comfort. Adding our support suspension system to your seat does affect your reach to the ground and you normally lose 1 1/2 to 2″ of ground reach.

Last edited by p400 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p400

Post by p400 »

Are the BMW factory seat bases (pans/frames) the same on all the R1200RTW factory options?
Last edited by p400 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

p400 wrote: Are the BMW factory seat bases (pans/frames) the same on all the R1200RTW factory options?
It's my understanding that the pans are the same, and it's just the foam height and contour that is different.