The tire pressure monitors

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
siclmn

The tire pressure monitors

Post by siclmn »

Do you believe the readings? My gages all get different readings, from 2 to 5 pounds different.
Also when looking at the picture on the bike which one is the front and back? I just see 2 circles but it doesn't show which side of the bike I am looking at?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: The tire pressure monitors

Post by richardbd »

siclmn wrote: Do you believe the readings? My gages all get different readings, from 2 to 5 pounds different.
Also when looking at the picture on the bike which one is the front and back? I just see 2 circles but it doesn't show which side of the bike I am looking at?

Unless there's something wrong with the tyres, the bigger number is at the back...

:alas: :alas:
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

If you have a LC bike then right is front left is back. Obvious from picture.

Edit - Make that the other way round. Duh !!
Attachments
RT Instruements.jpg
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you have a LC bike then right is front left is back. Obvious from picture.
Other way round I think
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yes thank you that hilarious.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

siclmn wrote:Also when looking at the picture on the bike which one is the front and back?
"The figure on the left side indicates the front tire's inflation pressure, while the figure on the right shows the inflation pressure in the rear tire."
siclmn

Post by siclmn »

Duh forgive my stupidity of course the picture above it confirms the front and back duh. But I am still getting pressure reading 4 to 5 lbs higher then my new gage that I spent $60 on from Napa says. I also have a Michelin gage that does not agree with the bikes readings.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The reading you get from the bike is somewhat effected by the tyre temperature.  The handbook explains it all.  Mine always read a little higher than my not so young guage .once they have warmed up.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

The picture of tyre circles confusion did make me smile! ;) I would trust your TPM readings on the bike dash, and just accept that no two types of tyre gauge are going to give you exactly the same reading....
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

siclmn wrote: Duh forgive my stupidity of course the picture above it confirms the front and back duh. But I am still getting pressure reading 4 to 5 lbs higher then my new gage that I spent $60 on from Napa says. I also have a Michelin gage that does not agree with the bikes readings.
Only time my TPMS agrees with my electronic BMW gauge is when tires are cold, in my case 60f.
BMW has a tepmature compensating system, so as your tires heat up dash will still show same pressure as when cold, while your tire gauge will show a much higher pressure
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They say the system compensates but I know that there is always a difference in the reading once the tyres have warmed up.  They then tend to show the same reading no matter how long you ride for.  It's normally no more than .1 or .2 of a Bar.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Bmw system takes time to get used to
Funny my Porsche Carrera S tire pressure reads in absolute pressure, as does most autos
Never have figured out why Bmw went this route
Jim
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

T6pilot wrote: Only time my TPMS agrees with my electronic BMW gauge is when tires are cold, in my case 60f.
BMW has a tepmature compensating system, so as your tires heat up dash will still show same pressure as when cold, while your tire gauge will show a much higher pressure
Since when? The two BMWs I've owned (2010 & 2015 models) with TPMS fitted on both, showed, as you'd expect, a slight pressure increase as and when the tyres got warm. Isn't that the norm?
Last edited by Steve F on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

It is for me !
Tango

Post by Tango »

Quick note, when displayed in Bar, be aware that "only" 0.1 - 0.2 bar, is 1.5 - 3 psi, not huge but if it changed downwards quickly?

just thought it might help.

Whilst here, yesterday on a long ride out, my tpm showed a sudden drop from 2.5bar to 2.3, then went to zero, worrying at 70mph on the motorway,
then the amber warning light appeared, this all happened in about a 30 second period, pulled over at junction luckily only another half mile, my buddy carries a tyre pressure gauge, which showed everything normal very reassuring. so from now on gauge included in tool kit.
tpm now ok again after a few more miles.
Last edited by Tango on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.