Bluetooth audio sounds awful

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
guest2360

Re: Bluetooth audio sounds awful

Post by guest2360 »

If it's an LC RT, I don't think you can do that.  The Nav 5 knows it's connected to an audio-equipped bike and won't let you connect a helmet directly to the GPS.  That's definitely the case for trying to play music via the Nav 5 but it may be different for just getting navigation prompts...

You are correct, with an audio unit on board the Media Player in the Nav is disabled and you get a message to use the audio unit.  The GPS though works through its own BT setting and connects to any make of headset.  Switch off its BT and prompts come through the speaker.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Maz12 wrote: Not quite,  I tried this today and it worked..  With a minor tweek
By putting a piece of insulation tape over one of the connections on the rear of the nav v I had direct connection to my system 6 lid/Bluetooth and could use the MP3 player on nav and get voice prompts

Cool - so how much for the info on which connection has to be blanked?

;)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I know nobody who would consider using them on the road above about 30mpg with the screen all the way up. But the audio unit itself properly connected to your helmet is a quality bit of kit.

I agree.  For the life of me, i can't understand why they bother fitting the speakers.  I have yet to meet anybody who uses them...
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Sorry,  I pressed post then realised I hadn't said which one
If you look at the rear of the nav v it's the 3rd connection up,  on the right
I guess this is the connector that tells it that's it's in the cradle of a audio equipped RT
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

If this helps ?
Attachments
image.jpg
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Don't know why it's upside down?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So you have an audio unit that you can load with music but you can cut this off and play music directly from the Nav media centre if you load that with music instead.Then instead of having instant control of all tracks/albums and volume. You are doing everything on the Nav screen with three different presses necessary just to adjust the volume.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Maz12 wrote: Sorry,  I pressed post then realised I hadn't said which one
If you look at the rear of the nav v it's the 3rd connection up,  on the right
I guess this is the connector that tells it that's it's in the cradle of a audio equipped RT

I'm slightly surprised that this works - but you live and learn.

Oddly enough, when my (very fast) grey, audio-equipped RT was in for a few bits and bobs at Bahnstormers, they lent me a (very slow) metallic brown non-audio RT.  My Nav5 music player wouldn't work on the non-audio bike and it kept giving me the "use bike audio system" message.

Mind you, that particular Nav 5 was subsequently replaced under warranty...

Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

To astonish many, I do ride with speakers activated above 30, yes even 60mph at times.  I'm just disappointed that the sound quality through my iPhone is greater than that of a system that cost me £1336......
Hell's teeth, Bang & Olufsen could do better at less cost.  Just think that BMW aren't doing their reputation any good by the way that they just want more money, example why supply an iPod capable music system on a bike for £1336, only to find you can't use the iPod until you spend another £50 on an adapter cable to plug it into?  They don't tell you that when you order the bike.

P.S. got a lead off ebay for £8, shame I couldn't find a radio!
:nif:
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I assume the quality you are receiving is from the speakers when riding up to 60mph.  Like you would get from your car radio driving down the road with your head out of the window.  Can't understand why everyone wants to plug in their i phone for music as all you need to do is plug in a usb stick to the supplied cable.  What am I missing.  I had high quality music from the unit on my 1600 for 3 years all for a £10 layout.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I assume the quality you are receiving is from the speakers when riding up to 60mph.  Like you would get from your car radio driving down the road with your head out of the window.  Can't understand why everyone wants to plug in their i phone for music as all you need to do is plug in a usb stick to the supplied cable.  What am I missing.  I had high quality music from the unit on my 1600 for 3 years all for a £10 layout.

You're not missing anything - the USB solution is by far the better one...
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

RTman10 wrote: So you have an audio unit that you can load with music but you can cut this off and play music directly from the Nav media centre if you load that with music instead.Then instead of having instant control of all tracks/albums and volume. You are doing everything on the Nav screen with three different presses necessary just to adjust the volume.
Sort of..  On many occasion I forget to take my iPod/sub stick with me but seldom forget my nav v
As the nav v is preloaded with my music i still have the option to listen to music
As for the volume,  I used the Bluetooth headset to alter the volume if needed,  I had a shortcut on the nav screen so can get to the media player in one press,  unless your already on the audio page on the bikes display then that too can be several presses to get to where you want to be... So not much difference in the two.
Just another option
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

RTman10 wrote: I assume the quality you are receiving is from the speakers when riding up to 60mph. Like you would get from your car radio driving down the road with your head out of the window. Can't understand why everyone wants to plug in their i phone for music as all you need to do is plug in a usb stick to the supplied cable. What am I missing. I had high quality music from the unit on my 1600 for 3 years all for a £10 layout.
Please don't get me wrong, the speakers are fine and dandy.  It's the audio quality of the Bluetooth connection from the audio system that I was referring to and the obvious difference in quality between that and an iPhone on Bluetooth.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

RTman10 wrote: Put all your troubles behind you and fit an Autocom. Less money, lot less stress and it lasts for years. Bluetooth is one if those things that should have stayed in cars like central locking and cancelling indicators.
This made me smile a lot, in theory BT Audio should be good but it just plain isn't in my limited (got bored and turned off preferring to listen to the exhaust note) experience!  Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And that's the ultimate solution Peter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk