Ignition / Steering Lock

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Ignition / Steering Lock

Post by David. »

Ch00 wrote:If I remove the top yoke will the front of the bike collapse? Does it need to be supported?
My understanding is that the fork stanchions are not load bearing, just used for steering.

The fork tubes should remain in place within the bottom yoke & the telelever suspension is all mounted to frame.

If in any doubt, just position a scissor jack underneath the front of the engine to support the bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

"On R1200 RT models, first displace the handlebars. Note that it is not necessary to remove any of the handlebar components. Keep the front brake and clutch master cylinders upright to prevent fluid spillage and make sure no strain is placed on the hoses and wiring."

Best of luck doing that.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Touratech Handlebar Risers can be fitted without disconnecting any wires or hoses, see instructions, http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/Mxus ... 0128-0.pdf

(There is also a photo showing the handlebar removed, exposing the top of the fork stanchion).

Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

I have been checking the lock over the last couple of days and its working perfectly!!!

I did nothing apart from oil it on day 1. I will keep my eye on it and get it looked at during its next service.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There you go, no major demolition job required then.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Ch00 wrote: I have been checking the lock over the last couple of days and its working perfectly!!!
I did nothing apart from oil it on day 1. I will keep my eye on it and get it looked at during its next service.
Where did you apply the oil and what was it? I have the same issue.