Do our hi-tech expensive machines....not have a helmet lock?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
crazycanuck

Do our hi-tech expensive machines....not have a helmet lock?

Post by crazycanuck »

Ok, so perhaps a newbie dumb ass question, but I don't see a helmet lock/holder on my new to me 2014 RT?

Gord
guest3167

Re: Do our hi-tech expensive machines....not have a helmet lock?

Post by guest3167 »

My 2011 RT does not... And I got one of these (or a plate lock like this one). Use it every time. Works great.

http://www.advdesigns.com/heguprheselo.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Go to Lidlox.com
Very high quality bar end helmet lock
My 15RT has two, while wifes C650gt has one on right bar only
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Definitely not one on the LC. My 09 had one under the pillion seat but as the LC has a bolted on one that wouldn't work. But as most helmets will fit in both panniers and normally 2 in the top box they are far better options than leaving you expensive lid swinging in the wind for any git to have a go at.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

An Oxford Bumper cable lock 600mm, http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3658.htm, does the job for two helmets if the top box is full.

Easily stored within the tail unit on a TC RT & accessible by removing the key locked pillion seat only.

Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tango

Post by Tango »

RTman10 wrote: But as most helmets will fit in both panniers and normally 2 in the top box they are far better options than leaving you expensive lid swinging in the wind for any git to have a go at.

Plus one on that  :)

crazycanuck

Post by crazycanuck »

Definitely use the panniers, but I ride without them a fair bit, especially commuting in town.  I will retrofit a couple of keyed locks I have from my old concours to the rear fender....was just surprised they didn't put a measly hook under the riders seat.

Gord
crazycanuck

Post by crazycanuck »

BTW, if that is my only complaint, I'll be a happy camper.

Haven't even riden the bike yet, nice weekend coming up  in Ontario...so, will definitely be out for a first ride.

Gord
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote: But as most helmets will fit in both panniers and normally 2 in the top box they are far better options than leaving you expensive lid swinging in the wind for any git to have a go at.

+ 1 :)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There are also plenty of after market bags with mesh inside that lock your helmet to the bars or crash bars if panniers are full. I have used these for years, waterproof and safe
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

crazycanuck wrote: Definitely use the panniers, but I ride without them a fair bit, especially commuting in town. 

My advice is NEVER ride without the panniers - the bike looks awful without them...

:alas: :alas: :alas:
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

richardbd wrote: My advice is NEVER ride without the panniers - the bike looks awful without them...
:alas: :alas: :alas:
I ALWAYS ride without panniers apart from 3/4 trips longer than 1 day per year.

I must be totally blind - because I never notice how awful the bile looks without them.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You will if you are unfortunate enough to gently lay it down without the panniers on and considerably poorer when you get it back to its ugly look.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

beemerboy9 wrote: I must be totally blind - because I never notice how awful the bile looks without them.

Try looking in a shop window when you ride past.  An RT without panniers looks as daft as that funny C-class Mercedes they use to sell that had no boot!

On a (slightly) more serious note, I REALLY don't get why you'd buy an RT and strip it of one of its key components.  If you really do use it all the time in traffic that makes you think it's better without the panniers, I can't help but think that you've bought the wrong bike and that an RS or a GS would be much better options.

I commute regularly into central London on my RT.  There are definitely times when I think a lighter, narrower bike would be a more sensible option but try as I might, I don't understand what difference taking the panniers off makes.  The bike is still just as heavy and (more importantly) just as wide.

Am I missing something here?

;) ;) ;)

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

No, vain as you may be, ;)  I'm inclined to agree with you re bike width with panniers on in traffic. If you can get through gaps wide enough for the handlebars, the panniers will also fit through!  :)