Removing rubber from foot pegs

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Removing rubber from foot pegs

Post by timminator »

Has anyone attempted to remove the rubber grips on the foot pegs, and if so can you tell me how to do it? I have tried pulling, twisting, and every other thing I could think of, and they just won't pop off.

I bought some new riding boots that are *extremely" grippy on the soles.  The soles are also very thick.  They tend to grip the foot pegs so tightly, that I have trouble sliding my feet off of them at stops.  I would just be interested in trying them out without the rubber on them.  I will likely pop them right back on, but just curious if my boots feel better that way.

Thanks in advance.
BMW MOA #210438
Levisp

Re: Removing rubber from foot pegs

Post by Levisp »

Just had a look at mine and I'm guessing the rubber slides off. Think you will have to remove hero blob first and probably some lube - soapy water. A thin blade screwdriver may help as well. This is just my guess. They must come off as the rubber is listed as a part.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 10.10.57.png
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

OK had another look at mine. Using a flat blade screwdriver I gentle lifted the rubber at the top and with a torch could see that the rubber is held in place either side at the shoulder of the foot rest. You would need to lift this part of the rubber footrest out of the shoulder either side before it will pull off. Hope this makes sum sense.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 11.08.09.png
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

timminator wrote:
They tend to grip the foot pegs so tightly, that I have trouble sliding my feet off of them at stops.

are yo sure you haven't got chewing gum on the bottom of them??

;)
timminator

Post by timminator »

Levisp wrote: OK had another look at mine. Using a flat blade screwdriver I gentle lifted the rubber at the top and with a torch could see that the rubber is held in place either side at the shoulder of the foot rest. You would need to lift this part of the rubber footrest out of the shoulder either side before it will pull off. Hope this makes sum sense.

Thanks for all the info, Levisp.  I'll give it a try.
BMW MOA #210438