RT Newbie - Hopefully!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Pickle

RT Newbie - Hopefully!

Post by Pickle »

Hi all,

Looking for a change of bike and my priorities are
1) Big screen with no buffeting to help my tinnitus, I'm 6'3" with a long torso
2) Warm hands and good wind protection - if I waited for a nice warm sunny day in Scotland I would only get out 3 times a year
3) All day comfort - I don't get out often but when I do it tends to be a 200-300 miler
4) Shaft drive - I'm done with chains and sprockets
5) Panniers - I have a habit of taking half my tools with me
6) Torque - I'm getting too old to be wringing a 600's neck and do like torquey twin

I have been lurking on here for a few weeks and from all I have read on here and elsewhere an R1200RT appears to fit the bill perfectly. I just need to blag a test ride somewhere to be sure before I buy.

Cheers

Bob
guest2360

Re: RT Newbie - Hopefully!

Post by guest2360 »

Don't know what vintage you are looking at but the main changes have been.
2005 and 2006 had servo brakes.  Best avoided after 10 years on the road
2007 to 2009.  All the same .  All down to condition service record and mileage.
2010 to 2013 New engine minor trim changes.  Not a dramatic improvement in performance
2014 onwards.  A whole different ball game. 
All have different OEM height seats options as well as being adjustsble.  Screen wise BMW only make a larger(touring) Screen for the latest one.  There are many after market version though some as big as a barn door.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Its good condition, lower mileage (20-30k) 2005/6 bikes at around £5k I have been looking at and the ABS / servo does concern me slightly, there seems to be a delay in the servo bringing the brakes on and the dreaded ABS replacement costs.
Would I be better off looking at a 2007 onwards higher mileage bike?

Cheers
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes steer  clear of anything Servo wise that doesn't seen quite right. 2007 onwards is a lot better bet.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Thanks for the advice. How do you tell the 07 MU from a 05/06 model?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Start the bike and pull the brake lever.  You can hear the servo working.  With the engine off there is a lot of play on the hand lever.