How do you aim your mirrors?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
siclmn

How do you aim your mirrors?

Post by siclmn »

If I aim them out then I can't see behind me. Either way I always have a big blind spot. My truck has it right, they have another mirror under the big one for your blind spot. Why does this motorcycle have such small mirrors?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: How do you aim your mirrors?

Post by Casbar »

You can always buy small mirrors that will stick on your original ones which can cover the blind spot. Or put mirrors on the end of your bars. But always look into the blind spot before moving, standard riding procedure  ;)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I find they're not so much small mirrors, but just a bit quirky where they're located low down. After a few hundred miles, you soon get used to them IMHO.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Must be talking about the pre LC.  Mirrors on the LC are a huge improvement over the old design, if a little uglier.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

I set mine up as follows:-
Left mirror (kerbside for those on the opposite side of the pond) views directly behind the bike, right side (offside) set for wider outward view - that's where greatest risk will approach from.....
But I always do a 'lifesaver' before moving out/in/ change of direction.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
tqmdave

Post by tqmdave »

I aim my mirrors pretty much as far out as possible so I can see cars on the side of me.  I have to lean to see cars behind me.

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Wunderlich mades some pricy, gold tint mirrors where the outer portion is angled. I have them on my 15RT also on my former 1600GT. Gold tint cuts glare, angled portion helps with blind spot. Does not reduce need turn head
Jim
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Mine are similar to Cleverbee.
The problem with the offside mirror is the "ball" at the end of the brake lever. It just obscures the view.
On my Pan I fitted short levers which resolved that problem.
Anyone know of short levers for the LC ?
^-^

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You might need shorter bars as well.  On mine the lever is in front of the bar end but behind them both is the top box.  only for about an inch of the inside of the mirror though. I can remember on my old RT I had a full view of most of my hand and arm.
Seattle1260
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
United States of America

Post by Seattle1260 »

T6pilot wrote: Wunderlich mades some pricy, gold tint mirrors where the outer portion is angled. I have them on my 15RT also on my former 1600GT. Gold tint cuts glare, angled portion helps with blind spot. Does not reduce need turn head

T6pilot,
I have seen the Wunderlich mirrors advertised. It seems like a simple solution and as you pointed out, a little pricey (it must be real gold in the tinting  :alas: ). In your opinion, do the Wunderlich photos accurately reflect (pun intended) the increased viewing angle?
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Already mentioned, but blind spot mirrors are great.  They do exactly what they are designed to do - take out all the blind spots.  I've tested the Summit ones and nothing can come alongside you on a 3 lane motorway without you either physically seeing it out of the corner of your eye, or its in the full mirror, or the blind spot mirror.  Really helpful for busy traffic.

They've just arrived this morning so I will stick them on immediately.

I've used them for the last 10 years - they're brilliant and look fine.

But ... always best to do a 'life saver' and glance over before manoeuvring.

Attachments
IMG_1004.JPG
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Steve F wrote: I find they're not so much small mirrors, but just a bit quirky where they're located low down. After a few hundred miles, you soon get used to them IMHO.

Completely agree.  After 9,000 miles, I don't even think about them any more.  They just seem completely natural...

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Seattle1260 wrote: T6pilot,
I have seen the Wunderlich mirrors advertised. It seems like a simple solution and as you pointed out, a little pricey (it must be real gold in the tinting :alas: ). In your opinion, do the Wunderlich photos accurately reflect (pun intended) the increased viewing angle?
Seattle
They work great, and yes the tint does reduce glare
Besides they look kool
Jim
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Richard.  If gold mirrors are kool, we better get some.  Might blend with my plastic frame bungs.
slothy

Post by slothy »

i set mine so i can see behind me aboout a 1/2 lane and use my head to turn when i need to see further to the side of me.