Rear View Camera

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
guest3713

Rear View Camera

Post by guest3713 »

There is a post on the main discussion section which queries members how they might aim their mirrors for optimum safety. This post and the appearance of new (expensive) helmets equipped with a rear view camera which displays a 'behind the bike' image on an in-helmet heads up display got me to thinking... Would it be feasible to place a small camera head at the rear of the bike that displays a live image on a 3-5" screen placed on the instrument panel that would augment your rearward awareness? And if it is feasible, is there an inexpensive solution that would give one no reason not to do so? A forum search here turned up only the continuous loop type of playback camera for recording purposes, so forgive me if this has been discussed previously. My idea would be to install a weatherproof camera and monitor that powers on and off with the bike. I could see it being of value for warning of overtaking traffic, rearward awareness while stopped in traffic, and in preparing to change lanes. There are numerous weather proof back up cameras on Amazon in the $25-$35.00 range as well as many monitors in the same price range. What do you think? Feasible or absurd? Pitfalls?
Warmest regards,
Brian
Attachments
817TlVax5GL._SL1500_.jpg
617N8xRlExL._SL1350_.jpg
Last edited by guest3713 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Re: Rear View Camera

Post by BeeJay »

A friend of mine has a rear view camera on his Pan with a waterproof screen for viewing.
I'll try and find out the details and let you know
^-^
fredkeuben

Post by fredkeuben »

Looks very intresting

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

It's also possibly illegal in the UK except for when reversing  :-\
guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

Benchmark wrote: It's also possibly illegal in the UK except for when reversing :-\
Do you have any ideas on why that may be the case? Perhaps rider fixation on the monitor, or other safety concerns?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have enough trouble concentrating on what's up ahead let alone looking at things I just missed.  Probably illegal for the same reason it is to have a TV screen on in the drivers view.
guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

barryj wrote: A friend of mine has a rear view camera on his Pan with a waterproof screen for viewing.
I'll try and find out the details and let you know
^-^
That would be appreciated.  Thank you.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I have enough trouble concentrating on what's up ahead let alone looking at things I just missed.  Probably illegal for the same reason it is to have a TV screen on in the drivers view.

took the words right out of my mouth...

be
guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

This is a demonstration of the helmet rearview camera concept:

https://youtu.be/7SybSODD5L8

IIRC, the helmet is in the $1500.00 range. I haven't reviewed all the laws here, but I can't imagine they'd spend the development dollars to bring an illegal product to market and then advertise it.
Last edited by guest3713 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

LATiger wrote: Do you have any ideas on why that may be the case? Perhaps rider fixation on the monitor, or other safety concerns?

I'm confused, why could it be illegal?

I think it's a good idea, would provide a far better view to the rear than mirrors afford and any sensible rider would not look at a rear view monitor any more than they would look into mirrors. Bikes legally do not have to have mirrors in the UK, so without them they would have less drag and be kinder to the environment.

There was a UK company at the bike show at the NEC a couple of years ago and they were selling a rear view system which displayed images on the visor.
Last edited by falconmick on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I can't think of anything more disoryingtating than having an image in your visor of the road behind you going backwards at a great rate of knots. No wonder they haven't been seen for a couple of years.  Mind you a good bit of kit to install with helmet mounted indicators and brake lights.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Heaven help if this ever catches on! As has already been said, what a distraction it would be to have this visual stimulus constantly in your sight! It's bad enough trying to cope with idiot cagers who are mesmerised by their absurd in-car infotainment systems and not the VRUs on two wheels!
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Distraction, monitor should only show rear view image when in reverse, buy a Goldwing, pfnar, pfnar!!!!

Oh yeah, illegal in UK....
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

So, the consensus seems to be everyone loves the idea, right?? Haha! Just kidding!

I did follow up with a little research on the legality of the issue. It seems there has been a US ruling requiring all new vehicles to be equipped with back up cameras by 2018. The following article outlines the details of the ruling as well as hints towards further development with regard to replacing rearview mirrors with cameras in the last paragraph (note pics of the system in the Volkswagen XL1 Concept Car, and don't lose sight of the fact Volkswagen is a German manufacturer, as is BMW):

http://readwrite.com/2014/04/16/backup- ... sa-safety/

As for myself, I'm not quite ready to fully replace the mirror and the obligatory head swivel with cameras, but I do find the rearview camera concept a wise tool to help eliminate the "blind spot". Yes, it may require an adjustment on the part of the rider to integrate fully, but what new technology does not?

Have a lovely day Ladies and Gents,

Brian
Last edited by guest3713 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Two questions:-

*If a 'head up' display is so much of a distraction, how do military pilots manage to fly using such displays?
*Why if a rear view image was displayed on a monitor, why would it be more of a distraction than a sat-nav?