Dunlap Sportmax Q3's ???

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
tqmdave

Dunlap Sportmax Q3's ???

Post by tqmdave »

I love the Q3's on my other bikes and just saw on Dunlaps website that the Q3 are also optional recommended.  I don't care about mileage & I'm good with swapping out every 3k miles.  Has anyone tried the Q3's?
guest2360

Re: Dunlap Sportmax Q3's ???

Post by guest2360 »

They are shown as a sports tyres so 3K is probably all you would get from them on an RT. I would be concerned about their wall strength on the back.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

tqmdave wrote:I love the Q3's on my other bikes and just saw on Dunlaps website that the Q3 are also optional recommended.
This Dunlop website's recommended tyre is RoadSmart II, (RoadSmart III now available),  http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/mc/tyr ... &year=2016

The Dunlop Qualifier isn't one of BMW's recommended tyre options for an RT, (what year is your RT).
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tqmdave

Post by tqmdave »

I'm assuming the Qualifiers and Sportmax are the same tires.  My RT is a 2015.  I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Q3 on their RT because the bike is so light -- only 120 lbs heavier than the S100OR (less than a wet of a pillion.)  I wouldn't think twice if the tires would be OK if I had a pillion on the back of my R
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As BMW only specify rear tyres with strengthened walls I would not fit a normal one.  275 kg fueled is not light. The kerb weight of a 1000 RR is 100kg less than the kerb weight of RT , bit more than 120lbs
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

tqmdave wrote:I'm assuming the Qualifiers and Sportmax are the same tires.
Looks like both tyres (Qualifier & RoadSmart) have the same "Load index and speed symbol", 58W Front & 73W Rear.

Tyres are a personal choice, however, insurance companies do look at tyres following any claims, not sure how they would react if the tyre was not recommended for the bike.

Have you seen this video on Sports Touring Tyre Test, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzcgeHL ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.