high beams

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
step2534

Re: high beams

Post by step2534 »

Don't call em Fog lights call em Additional driving lights.  There is a difference if stopped by the police believe you me
iride4u

Post by iride4u »

On this side of the pond LEO's don't care as long as you are not blinding them. The key is to be seen. How you present yourself on the bike is as important as anything else. If you ride like many of the cruiser riders drivers will dismiss you. I have to be very careful on my civilian K1600 as I do not get noticed as much as when I am on the RTP. The RTP sticks out but with the idiots doing anything but driving it can get very dangerous. Anything that gets you noticed helps. I do not ride with my highs on because I can flash them and maybe get someone's attention.
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

Here in the colonies it is not illegal to drive in the day time with your high beams on.

Once you've been taken out by TWO idiot drivers who leave a "stop" sign and plow into you because they "didn't see you", you'll start using your high beams on in the day also.

Remember, drivers in the states are generally distracted by about a dozen things at any one time, the least of which is actually driving the car.

Add to that the fact that most of the auto drivers shouldn't even be driving anything more difficult than a spoon, and you have some really distracted drivers.

I ran low beams in the day time for over 50 years of motorcycling.  I now run full time high beams on my R1200RT in the day time.

Yes, they do dazzle.  I've run up in front of my riding partner to see how they look.  They look bright!  The better to make the oncoming clown maybe see me when they look up from their current text session.

AD (rant off)
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Some years ago I was riding during daylight, headlight on dipped beam, driver didn't see me, turned across my path, i ended up in hospital for three weeks, swollen brain (had full face helmet on at time of crash), broken arm, badly bruised legs and a burnt out written off bike and a lot of worry for my family.

Since then during daylight I always ride with high beam on and have never had a similar incident. If I am either riding or driving and an oncoming bike or car has lights on high beam, I simply look away towards the nearside of the carriageway=end of problem.