Dropped bike...%#$@%

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
SteveLindsell

Re: Dropped bike...%#$@%

Post by SteveLindsell »

After dropping mine I had exactly the same style bars fitted to the back but my passenger is small and when I let her out of the top box she couldn't get her feet on the pegs, her legs poked straight out! So unfortunately if I manage to drop it again then I will have to repair the panniers again! the engine guards have remained.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

SteveLindsell wrote: After dropping mine I had exactly the same style bars fitted to the back but my passenger is small and when I let her out of the top box she couldn't get her feet on the pegs, her legs poked straight out! So unfortunately if I manage to drop it again then I will have to repair the panniers again! the engine guards have remained.

...let her out of the top box.....?? Some sort of contortionist....!!?? ;) :)
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

richardbd wrote: No wonder he dropped it - it's all the extra weight from the scaffolding poles!!

:alas: :alas:
In case you haven't looked at the new RT from the side, it all looks like scaffolding.
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

Just happened to me....I am devastated because just ordered crash bars... Too late.... Right case scratch lightly ( can I replace just the door ??). Right motor plastic cover scratched...!?!? Is there a replacement ?? I am paralyzed with grief... >:D
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What year bike.  Makes a lot of difference.
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

2016... :-\
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The coloured top of the pannier is easily removed as is the lid itself.  The most expensive bit is the painted part.  If it's just marked along the bottom you can probably cover up the damage with OEM pannier protectors.  The motor plastic cover . Do you mean the Spark plug cover or the silver rocker box cover.  That's made of magnesium. Sit down when the dealer quotes you.
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

See photos
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Ventura wrote: See photos
Luckily the engine bars kept the head from getting dinged like that, but my pannier was in worse shape.  Both the top and bottom parts were gouged badly by the exceedingly gravely surface.

I can't stand making payments on something that is marred up, so I just replaced the 2 pannier parts and the inexpensive mirror housing.  I'll touch the bar up with the silver metallic paint I got from Wunderlich.
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

Last photo (of the case) is rotated to the left ....sorry
Attachments
image.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If it was mine.
OEM engine guards will totally cover the scratches.
Looks like you have damaged the painted top on the pannier and that will be difficult to get repainted.  I would just bite the bullet and get a new one. The OEM Pannier protectors will fix the bottom marks and cost a lot less than the lid.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun May 01, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: If it was mine.
OEM engine guards will totally cover the scratches.
Looks like you have damaged the pinged top on the pannier nd that will be difficult to get reprinted.  I would just bite the bullet nd get. New one. The OEM Pannier protectors will fix the bottom marks and cost a lot less than the lid.

The painted part of the lid was in the $300 to $400 range, if I remember correctly. Closer to $400, I think.  The bottom was a bit less, and the mirror housing was $50.  Only reasonably priced part of the bunch.